Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last couple weeks the brake light on the dash has been coming on, intermittently. It will go out on its own, btw. It does not come on when i am on the brakes so i thought that perhaps the parking brake switch was acting up. I took the console off and found the ground wire loose. It had come loose once before, but never tripped the light. So i tightened it back up and put the key to RUN and, while watching the switch, pulled up just enough on the parking brake handle to where the light should come on. The light does not come on at all, and the plunger was all the way out. I thought that light came on in both RUN and with the engine running? I never took note of this before so i dont know. To tell you the truth, i never use the parking brake anyway.

Another thought about the light was that i was low on fluid so i checked that as well. It was just above the MIN mark, so i topped it off to the MAX mark. We shall see what happens.

I am still curious if the light is supposed to come with the key in RUN, or just START, when using the parking brake. I would like to cover all bases here. Thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since topping off the brake fluid the light has not come back, although i am not convinced that was the issue to begin with as the light never came on when applying the brakes. However, the light does not come on at all when i pull up on the parking brake handle, even after re-tightening the ground. I am pretty sure it should, yes? Not sure what is going on there yet. Because of that, i cannot say if the brake fluid switch in the reservoir was the culprit or not, or if the parking brake switch was the culprit or not. The fuses are ok, with no visible damage to any wiring or loose connections that i can get too right now. Could be an issue behind the instrument cluster, like a broken connection or a blown bulb. But as long as i know it has brake fluid and the parking brake is not set, further diagnosis can wait.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts