Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be buying a 99 GT in about a week that has a blown motor. I'll be putting forced induction on it and i'm wondering what would be good rods and pistons to put into the motor to hold about 450-500rwhp. It has a 4R70w in it..which i'm going to keep. Will that tranny hold that amount of power, if not what will i need? Thanks

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
crank will be aight to 600 or so. Stock internals should be good to 450rwhp as long as there is a descent tune on it.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
the trans will be fine. stock cranks have had 650rwhp put them with no issue. any forged piston (15cc or more dish) and a good set of rods of your choice. the main, head, cam, and balancer bolts are tty and will have to be replaced. i would suggest running head studs on it as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the trans will be fine. stock cranks have had 650rwhp put them with no issue. any forged piston (15cc or more dish) and a good set of rods of your choice. the main, head, cam, and balancer bolts are tty and will have to be replaced. i would suggest running head studs on it as well.
Links would be nice man! Reps for sure:D

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
for the bolts, i would get a hold of steve at AVF, he is a vendor on here. as for the pistons and rods, they are available at most speed shops. d'agostino racing (another vendor on here) can set you up with all the other stuff as well.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
probe or scat are decent...correct me if I am wrong?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Intresting question.. let me bring something up really quick btw...

So, everyone says that an auto gt has less pwr than a standard tranny one, but some say that leaving an auto is better now a days.. for whatever reason, is this true? would a standard tranny conversion be possible?

Sorry for asking so many questions guys..

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
probe or scat are decent...correct me if I am wrong?
probe sucks! they are junk, dont run their stuff!

Intresting question.. let me bring something up really quick btw...

So, everyone says that an auto gt has less pwr than a standard tranny one, but some say that leaving an auto is better now a days.. for whatever reason, is this true? would a standard tranny conversion be possible?

Sorry for asking so many questions guys..
auto's do have more drivetrain loss, but are a very good and consistent for the track. the auto's can hold their own and dont have the traction issues like tha manual cars either since they are smoother with the power.

·
WHOOP!
3,145 Posts
Eagle for the rods, JE or manley for the pistons and ARP for the bolts imo. Your going to get a million different opinions though.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
thanks for the correction Sweet2kStang. I wasn't sure on them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
scott2001gt i had a 567 rwhp fox before the topless cobra and i ran keith black flat tops in her it punched and stroked, trick flow heads that i decked comp was something like 10.5:1, upper and lower intakes ported and polished, i ran a turned down 351 crank with 125 shot car had a killer 60' time pulled wheels hard on good track, anyway my brother ran pretty much a probe motor and he ran right along side of me and he still was runin when i sold the fox for the cobra he likes em alot

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
i always go with manley on pistons and rods.. thats just me tho

1 - 17 of 17 Posts