Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello just want to say hi and ask a few q's, first off name's nick live in so cal and own 3 broncos 69 74 and 78 and an 07 trump bonnevile, just wanted to know if anyone here had a 70 stang or similar that did a 460 swap on it? see I built a 545 stroker rated at 700 hp for my 78 but a buddy at work got a 70 stang with an I6 and rotten roof for 500 BUCKS! now he doesn't want it see what I am thinking? bye bye 78 I dunno is it worth the work and how difficult is it all my work has to be done at the base hobby shop and can't spend too much.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm pretty sure a big block will fit in any of the 67+ classics, might need to swap motor mounts. I'm sure somebody else will shed more light on the situation than i can

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I dont doubt it will fit but I see a great deal about changing spindles and brakes? odd I want to know just what Ill have on my plate before I aquire another money pit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what mods need to be done to the car other than the obvious swap of the engine mounts frame perches cross members and tranny? sorry for my ignorance most of my ford tech knowledge is all about broncos.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well, if you want discs, I'd reccomend wilwood discs. They're relatively inexpensive, and work well. As for everything else, you might need motor mounts (I kind doubt it) everything you talked about, and you're going to need to redo the suspension to handle the extra weight. Mustangs plus has kits that'll do the front suspension for about $500.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so I need? new front end i.e. suspension brakes spindles tie rods then I need new frame perches motor mounts a transition cross member and a C6. all to put in my 545 in a 70 stang. correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm pretty sure you need to swap the suspension (all of it), new transmission (545 obviously delivers more power than the i6), drive shaft, rear end, and of course the motor mounts and brakes. You will want to measure to make sure the new engine will fit. I know the 67 Mustang could only hold up to a 429, with the Boss capable of holding a bigger engine (e.g. 429 Boss); though the fit is extremely tight (pulling engine to change spark plugs). Below are sites for swapping engines on 67/68...might be useful?

1967 Mustang and 351 Cleveland Information

How to convert a '67-'68 Mustang from I6 to V8

·
Registered
207 Posts
The engine conpartment will require some cutting around the shock towers would be my guess. The 429's had shock towers with a little indent sorta so you could try and get to the plugs and stuff. I have a 70 stang i gets some sweet looks but haveing a motor like that in one would be awsome to the extreme.

You can do it go for it

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
i took a complete frontend from under a 76 granada and put it under my mustang.junkyard doner 100 bucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts