Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Heres the problem:

about 2 weeks ago my car started to make a light grinding noise (much like sand paper) from the back right wheel. I was told on here it was the brakes from the posi and that it wasnt anything major, just have the brakes checked out.

About 5 days ago, it started to make squeaks, I decided to have it be looked at but since I was out of town until the weekend and the body shop is only open m-f, i had to make an appointment today.

this morning when driving back from physical training, it worsened. it became a grinding and occasional clunks. I have an appointment at one... does anyone have ideas before I go to it about what it could be? brake pads just completely shot?

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Brake pads, wheel bearing...it could be a number of things. Without being there in person to take a look, any answer you get here is just going to be a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. Ill see what happens later and I'll post back. thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
check your brake pads and make sure to check the inner pad cuz usually thats the one that will go bad, and wen u change it make sure u dont got a seized caliper piston.

Reactions: vita

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like wheel bearing issue to me.

Reactions: vita

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
im going to bet on a wheel bearing

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
saying its not a pad thats gone bad, any idea on how much it might cost to get it fixed?

this sounds like its going to get expensive. :(

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
It could be a variety of things, which I can't diagnose with the aforementioned information.

Here's a list of what I went through with my IRS:
Bearing: ~$20 for the bearing, paid the shop $20 to install it. I brought them the entire knuckle and they just pressed it in.
Slides: $8 for the pins, boots, and grease.
Bracket: (if slides are seized to bracket) $35
Pads: ~$20. I went with NAPA organic, nothing fancy.

And for all the above, make sure they understand they are COBRA PARTS! Several parts stores had the same part listed for the Cobra as the GT, such as the bracket and pads, when in fact they're not even close. You might have to shop around and bring in your part to verify. Also expect them to have to order. Every part I needed (minus slides) had to take a week to get in, because apparently people aren't replacing Cobra parts too often.

For all this nonsense it won't take very long to replace yourself. Basic hand tools are all you need, it can be done in an afternoon in your driveway. Trust me, I did it. You might need a wheel puller if you opt to take the whole knuckle off for the bearing, as well as an enormous socket.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wheel bearing.. $250 to replace.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
wheel bearing.. $250 to replace.
:shitbrick

I'm assuming that's at a shop? I suggest doing what I did. All you have to do is take off your wheel, brake caliper and rotor, then remove the 3 links on the knuckle. Take off the main nut holding on the spindle, you'll probably need a bigass socket and breaker bar for this. Then with either some serious muscle or a wheel puller, take the knuckle off. Drop it off at a shop with a bearing, they can press it in in a matter of minutes. I dropped mine off in the morning, picked it up in the afternoon. All told it should cost you under $50. To re-assemble just follow previous steps in reverse order. It's actually fairly easy.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea, tell me about it.

Ill look at what it takes at doing it, unfortunately, I don't have all the time in the world so time is a factor. Reps for ya!

·
Registered
235 Posts
i'm sure after having the beast this long there's someone you can call to get the job done for you or dl some instructions. Sounds from what people are saying you can do it yourself. Also if you don't have the tools like the guy was saying check local area for hobby shops. Some places pretty cheap to use for an hour or two

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Found out the bearing is seized into the spindle....

Any idea online where I can find a replacement? They quoted me around 600 because they order everything from the local dealer... :-S

·
Because Racecar
3,045 Posts
$600!? Damn... they didn't even spit on it before they reamed it up there...

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
By spindle to you mean the half shaft or the hub? If you mean the half shaft this is where a wheel puller comes in handy. If you mean the hub, that's the press fit part. I had to take it to a shop for them to press out the old one and press in a new one.

They're probably ordering the whole knuckle/bearing/hub assembly, which is a joke. You only need a $30 bearing. I got mine at Napa or Autozone.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
axle bearing - 83.30

shaft/hub - 616.63

Those are the prices I can get the parts at direct from ford. Ill check with a Napa store as well.
As for the parts, are they considered Cobra Specific?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
axle bearing - 83.30

shaft/hub - 616.63

Those are the prices I can get the parts at direct from ford. Ill check with a Napa store as well.
As for the parts, are they considered Cobra Specific?
Sounds like they're boning you pretty hardcore. You don't need the shaft/hub assembly, you just need a bearing.

I believe the bearing is essentially Cobra specific, seeing as regular Mustang's don't even have IRS. You'll need a 99/01 or 03/04 Cobra rear wheel bearing.
Though it may be the same as the Lincoln MKVIII IRS as well. The only differences in the Lincoln IRS was the axle spline count and axle ratio, so I would assume the bearing would be the same.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
autozone or orielys ftw!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called and asked the place for why I need the spindle...

"We had the shop apply 2(0),000 lbs of force on it trying to get the bearing out... it wont budge. We think that since the shaft is aluminum and the bearing is steel, the bearing heated up and kind of welded itself to the aluminum."

Called autozone and Orielys, neither carry the spindle, but I can get the bearing for about 25 bucks. I searched the scrap yards around here, no luck. Im talking to a place in alabama for getting the entire knuckle for about 200 bucks that comes with it all.

sorry for so many posts, just trying to make sure im doing this the right way!

·
Because Racecar
3,045 Posts
It's better to blow up a thread than get raped by a dealership. Don't let people steal your money.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts