Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i found someone with a built 8.8 in a 98 cobra that i have worked out a swap with the question is what all are we gonna have to do? i know the swap into my 01 cobra with the sra is gonna be straight forward but what all has to be done to swap the irs into his 98?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
noone? ive read that the rearends are 1 1/2" shorter? whats the best way to remedy this? get a set of 3/4" spacers for each side? or is this just a good excuse to go with some 11.5" wide wheels instead of my 10.5's i have now?:yes

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
swap isnt that bad, should take that long if you have the tools

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
key components are whole assembly (shocks, springs, brakes, lines), abs wires, exhaust. other then that its all pretty much just straight forward. also be aware that the 98 axles/housing are about 3/4" shorter than the 99-04.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
From what I have seen, the switch is absolutely straight forward. As long as you have both cars sitting next to each other, its as easy as it gets.

With the difference in width, the truth is. Unless your wheels are not sticking out enough for you; as long as you are not rubbing the wheel well or anything else through out the range of verticle movement, It is 100% fine.

The width difference could be solved with a couple of spacers and lengthened studs for the lug nuts if you have issues. But honestly, I highly doubt you will have any issues.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
key components are whole assembly (shocks, springs, brakes, lines), abs wires, exhaust. other then that its all pretty much just straight forward. also be aware that the 98 axles/housing are about 3/4" shorter than the 99-04.
I thought so,So it looks to me like i have a perfect excuse to go ahead and get some 18x11.5's:D and just get the proper offset so i dont have to use spacers. :no

·
Registered
343 Posts
I put a solid axle out of a 98 Gt into my 01 Cobra. I have 17x9 rims and you can tell they are pulled into the wheel wells. I havent gotten around to getting spacers but Ill probably just get new rims. When you do the swap, have both cars next to eachother. The IRS is very heavy so dont let it fall off the jack. You will need the shocks from the 98 and he will need yours. Leave your brake lines where they are cause they will bolt up to the calipers from the 98. But, you may be able to just keep your calipers cause you may have the same size brakes which will make it even easier. Dont forget to remove the rubber pinion snubber from the underside of the 98 otherwise you'll have issuses with yours, and he wont be able to fit the SRA in his car. Also, both of you should install new fuel filters cause it will never be this easy to get to it again. You'll need special fuel line fitting removal tools that you can get at Checker or Autozone for like 5 bucks. Any questions feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put a solid axle out of a 98 Gt into my 01 Cobra. I have 17x9 rims and you can tell they are pulled into the wheel wells. I havent gotten around to getting spacers but Ill probably just get new rims. When you do the swap, have both cars next to eachother. The IRS is very heavy so dont let it fall off the jack. You will need the shocks from the 98 and he will need yours. Leave your brake lines where they are cause they will bolt up to the calipers from the 98. But, you may be able to just keep your calipers cause you may have the same size brakes which will make it even easier. Dont forget to remove the rubber pinion snubber from the underside of the 98 otherwise you'll have issuses with yours, and he wont be able to fit the SRA in his car. Also, both of you should install new fuel filters cause it will never be this easy to get to it again. You'll need special fuel line fitting removal tools that you can get at Checker or Autozone for like 5 bucks. Any questions feel free to PM me.
just changed my filter but i think i may go ahead and get a new fuel hat and change all the fuel lines to 8an while im under there cuz im gonna need them to support the new kenne bell anyway and thanks for the info i was wondering about the shocks that sucks i have brand new ones:( oh well he will have to pay for that:yes

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Leave your brake lines where they are cause they will bolt up to the calipers from the 98.
I'm confused about this.... the IRS should have rubber brake lines much like the front end, whereas the SRA has hardlines from the t-block out to the calipers.

Sure, you could keep your IRS brake lines, but wouldn't that screw over the guy getting the IRS? Wouldn't it be easier to just swap out at the t-block junction, where the '98 has the one rubber line?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm confused about this.... the IRS should have rubber brake lines much like the front end, whereas the SRA has hardlines from the t-block out to the calipers.

Sure, you could keep your IRS brake lines, but wouldn't that screw over the guy getting the IRS? Wouldn't it be easier to just swap out at the t-block junction, where the '98 has the one rubber line?
i believe you are correct sir.....

·
Registered
343 Posts
When I did the swap with a guy with a '98, I kept my brake lines and he kept his and there were no issues whatsoever. Everything fit just fine. The lines running back to the entire rearend are different than how they are on the solid axle cars. You'll understand when you see it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts