Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IRS Swap

I found a pretty good deal around here for a 99 cobra. My question is if I happen to be able to come up with the money before its sold should I take the rear out of my 2000 GT and put it in the cobra and put the IRS from the cobra and put it in the GT. I will be selling the GT if I get the cobra. The SRA has 4.10s in it and the factory posi with upgraded clutches. If its a good idea to do is it a 100% direct swap? the biggest concern is if its a direct swap or not.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
it is a direct swap... you just need to pull everything. If you are going to be doing any track times then go with the SRA. If you are gonna be doing and road courses or this will be your DD then stay with the IRS. IRS's can be beefed up to handle alot but it will take alot of money

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wont be doing any track days but will take it to the strip. It wont be my DD but will drive it probably 3-4 days out of the week depending on weather.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
by track i meant strip. if you are talking about the drag strip then see what you want to do by checking out how much it would cost to build up an SRA vs IRS to handle good power. I know from experience that 99 IRS's are the weakest out of the bunch so do your homework before coming up with a conclusion.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Agreed with wraith here :yes

Not knowing anything about the strength of differing years of SRA in Mustangs, in general, the SRA will out perform the IRS when it is equiped with the proper upgrades suspension wise. Now the IRS will ALSO need some serious upgrades, but will tend to ride a bit better on the street. I recommend you head over to SVT sections and ask the pepes who 1/4 thier rides. Many, if not most, that are real serious have gone to SRA.

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking of doing it cuz the SRA is lighter and stronger im not worried so much about the ride quality cuz it should ride the same as my Gt does which i like the ride in it, also my buddy has a 99 cobra and broke his IRS at the track. Also ill have them both right next to eachother lol

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
No new information for me to add really. It's a direct swap. If you're going to drag the car then you want an SRA setup, if you corner the car then you'll like the IRS

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
^ The SRA will out perform the IRS on the twisties if proper suspension components are installed :yes

It would need PHB or WL and TA along with good LCA's, but need probably just as much $$$ to get the IRS there and not as durable on the 1/4... all things being equal.

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
^ The SRA will out perform the IRS on the twisties if proper suspension components are installed :yes

It would need PHB or WL and TA along with good LCA's, but need probably just as much $$$ to get the IRS there and not as durable on the 1/4... all things being equal.

Goddamn Jazzer, how many acronyms can you use? Correct me if I'm wrong.

PHB-Panhard Bar
WL- Watt's Link
TA- Trailing Arm
LCA- Lower control arm

IRS- Internal Revenue Service. Dammit.

Seeing as how I was a SrA last year (Senior Airman), and the IRS came after my tax crap, I thought this was something else.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts

PHB-Panhard Bar
WL- Watt's Link
TA- Trailing Arm
LCA- Lower control arm

Seeing as how I was a SrA last year (Senior Airman), and the IRS came after my tax crap, I thought this was something else.
TA is torque arm
IRS is independent rear suspension; Screw the other IRS.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts

PHB-Panhard Bar
WL- Watt's Link
TA- Trailing Arm
LCA- Lower control arm

:lmao

·
Banned
7,007 Posts

Absolutely, but the PHB/WL and TA along with a nice set of LCAs are gonna cost a nice chunk of change to get quality parts. If you can get basically a free IRS on the Cobra that'd be way cheaper. If I ever decide whether I want to drag my car or autox it, I'll start looking for suspension parts, until then I'm gonna keep upping the power and hardly putting any of it to the ground :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts