Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if irs is so bad for drag why the hell would they put it in a cobra instead of putting a solid axle, i was just wondering this and would like to know the answer, reps to you all too i really want to know this. :confused:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The IRS system isnt all bad...

it allows amazing performance in track racing, (hence the 2000r had IRS) and allows the vehicle to not have as much problems under load when taking hard corners.

With that being said, the IRS system can with some modifications be as effective on heavy launches, but braces and stiffer bushings are critical. How much work needed to get the suspension up to par depends on the year your IRS is. Our 99/01 needs a little more LTC then the 03/04 due to minor changes throughout the entire system.

Im sure someone else can drop you a much needed link to show ya how lucky you are for actually HAVING IRS. ;)

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
The handling of the IRS is outstanding. There is more to life than straight lines you know. :p

Anyways, here's an excellent link for how to beef up your IRS:
LEVEL 5 IRS or THE RED PILL - SVTPerformance

I'm not tossing mine anytime soon. It's a little heavier and not quite as bulletproof, but it provides better weight transfer (cornering), better articulation, and better geometry than SRA. Just think of it in the most basic terms, what would you rather have in a corner, something with arms that articulate independantly, or basically a stick with wheels on the end?

Get two mustangs, one with SRA and one with IRS and throw them into a corner. See which you like better.

·
Photoshop Junkie
1,445 Posts
Around here there's tons of twisty roads through bluff country. I'm very happy to have the IRS in my car, it handles very well for what I'm tossing at it. The only drawback I see is I can't safely do burnouts, but as expensive as tires are I don't need to do many of those anyway.

·
Registered
493 Posts
i traded my stick for an irs. for a daily driven car, it is wonderful due to the fact that when you hit a bump in the road just one wheel reacts instead of the whole rear end. it rides much better than the stick and i like to turn my steering wheel and the irs loves fast corners. with some work the irs can be just as solid going in a straight line as the stick.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Cars are not designed for the dragstrip. The Cobra was made to be a hi-performance "street" car. What the customer/owner decides to do with it is their preorgative. I personally swapped out my IRS for a SRA. Which I regret because I prefer the smoother ride and cornering abilities over a solid launch and durability. To each their own. Just be thankful that Ford designed our cars to allow the adaptability of both.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Ford realized that the mustang was becoming outperformed by the Corvette. The cobra was a coverts competitive car. The Camaro and GT wedding competition

Sent from my A70S using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help you guys, when i get to suspension ill just do those stuff in that thread to help out my irs for the dragstrip but im going to keep it for sure, lol i had an 04 gt already and that would be stupid to go to solid axle if i bought a cobra with irs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts