Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had 3/4 full tank of 93 octane and topped off with 5 gal. of 110 octane racing fuel just to see the difference. Noticible difference, but is this safe for a stock motor with Steeda CAI, 93 oct. tune, and UDPs?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Get Ford pro tuning software, only 300$. Get your study on, and do it yourself... f'n w/ global timing w/ handheld is sketchy at best.

Higher octane only means the fuel is more stable, need more nrg to egnite... less stable 'pop' quicker...

If you are tuned for 87 octane, and use 87, youll make better power than running 116 w/ 87 tune; and adv. global timing w/o taking other things into account is not a good idea.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
yeah i mean to get the power you want with 110 octane its best to get a custom tune for it in your handheld so you can fill up with 110 then turn your tune on for it...far as safe goes...yeah your good but your not benefiting like chad said

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
how did you have a 3/4 full tank and put in 5 gallons? Wouldnt that overflow it?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Is 110 unleaded fuel? I dont even see a point in you running 110 unless you just have money falling out of your pockets (that stuff isn't cheap)...........They make lower octane race gas that suites your needs better (whatever those might be?). I say stay with 93 and you will be fine, AND have extra money in your pocket. When you start running a power adder, or high compression, then run the race gas.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
how did you have a 3/4 full tank and put in 5 gallons? Wouldnt that overflow it?
even though the gas tank is supposedly 16 gallons, ive never put more than a hair over 14 in while on empty, so ya either he had less than 3/4 of a tank, or didnt put 5 gallons in.

just remember this the next time you fill up:
alkane C13H28 (l) --> alkane C8H18 (l) + alkene C2H4 (g) + alkene C3H6 (g)

·
Registered
5 Posts
fuel

Is 110 fuel safe?? It depends if the fuel is leaded or not. If it is unleaded than yes, if it is leaded than it will eventually lead to poisoning your cats and o2 sensors. I have never used 110 before, but I do use 100 octane unleaded fuel from VP called VP’s StreetBlaze 100

·
Registered
244 Posts
I dont see the point of doing it. I have friends that want to run 100 octane race fuel just to be safe when they have a 91 octane tune. If you car is tuned for 91 octane and doesn't ping then why up the octane?

Also, I haven't been able to find anything over 110 octane that isn't leaded.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
I run 5 gallons of C-16 with my 94 octane pump gas. But that is for spraying 150 shots into my monster. just for insurance...its not need but it defenantly makes me feel better about things n such.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Unless you tune for it, you probably won't see a difference. Actually there is a chance that the high octane fuel will cause you to run slower. You better hope it is unleaded, leaded fuel is hard on O2 sensors and cats.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
formula for calculating your octane level when mixing gas is:

[(Volume 1 * Octane 1) + (Volume 2 * Octane 2)] / (Volume 1 + Volume 2)

Volumes must have the same units such as gallons. Example: Mixing 7 gal of 91 octane with 3 of 100.

[(7*91)+(3*100)]/10=93.7

:2cents

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
our gas tank is 18.5 gal
so by my calculations, say if you had 13 gal of 93 and added 5 gal of 110 you will wind up with 97.72 octane

(13*93)+(5*110)/18=97.722222

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
our gas tank is 18.5 gal
so by my calculations, say if you had 13 gal of 93 and added 5 gal of 110 you will wind up with 97.72 octane

(13*93)+(5*110)/18=97.722222
Ford says that we have a 16 gallon gas tank btw so i think your calculations are a lil off

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
^^^the formula i got off trick tuner's website. but the gas tank volume i got from my bad memory.

To get techical, our gas tanks hold 15.7 gallons
i think you are right.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts