Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tried searching but but no luck. mainly i am wondering about the block cuz i am pretty sure the rods and pistons are not the same not sure on the crank either.

·
Registered
663 Posts
96-98 Cobra used the Teksid Aluminum Block.

2003/2004 Terminator Cobras used a cast iron block. 1999 Cobras and a handful of 2001 Cobras used the Teksid Aluminum Block.

The 2003 had forged pistons, Manley H-beam connecting rods, aluminum flywheel, and it did have a forged-steel crankshaft. A forged crankshaft has been used on all Cobras since 1996. The heads were changed in 1999 to the 'C heads.'

One of the main differences between a Lincoln Mach VIII motor was the crankshaft in 1996-1998. (Few other differences, but that one stands out.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok the block of the 98 is alum and the block on the 03 is iron, thats the only difference to the block. Crank is the same. Rods and pistons are different.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Ok the block of the 98 is alum and the block on the 03 is iron, thats the only difference to the block. Crank is the same. Rods and pistons are different.

Yep. The 98 cobra motor is a good platform to start with. You just need rods and pistons for whatever application you are goin with, and a good set of 03-04 Mach or Cobra heads and you will have a very nice motor. and lightweight as well.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
That would be nice combo. Doc did you ever get your car dynoed after you did everything?

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
No he hasn't. He's got to get a tranny in first and some other modifications.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
There for a minute I thought I might have saw you until I remembered you had a blue Mach. I've never seen another Mach in Terre Haute until the other day when I saw 2 (blue and red) but the blue was in a yard for sale.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Ya I read about the tranny, but I thought that maybe you went before that's all. Well I guess that you need to get that tranny. I'm looking for used T-56 right now if I get I'll sell you mine. My trans is as close to new as you can get it has less than 7500mi on it and only a couple of launches.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
He beat the living tar out of me when I was down there last weekend. All he had on that was different than mine was a water pump, automatic, and a midpipe that wasn't as restrictive as mine. I'll post some pictures up when I get back to St. Louis of my midpipe and why I'm not getting as much power as I should.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
My car is still in winter storage. I'm getting pounded with snow right now. I was going to drive it to my workshop today, but it's snowing. and I won't be outta the office until late. Which effin sucks. I can't work on my car until I get it to the workshop. My barn doesn't have enough room.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
I wish that I was driving her right now. I have to go back down to NC if I get some work done on her I might have her shipped down so I can drive it.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Yeah I wrote H pipe instead of midpipe. He has an X and I have an H.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
I was trying to upload some pics I had of my car, but they're not uploading. It said they did, but I checked my garage and nothing. Would one of you guys see if they did upload?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts