Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5speed 96 gt with cold air, underdrive pullies, nos fuel pump, 373 gears, and full exhaust and the thing is slow! it has about 120k on it. I want it faster but i am not confident enough to do a PI head swap, i know i could do the intake and maybe cams. Is the intake actually worth it? i've heard it adds about 15hp but i want to hear from you guys what your experiences have been with PI intake swaps.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i heard the full PI swap has gains of 50 to 60 hp with heads and intake

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
ive been thinking about doing this, maybe ill do the intake and either search for a set of heads or go with good ported heads. I heard the full swap makes more power than an actual pi motor cause of raised compression

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would say that the full swap makes about 40-50 untuned and can make 60 with a tune. Just by going from what I've seen. I never put mine on a dyno. Tuned it myself

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
What is included in just the intake swap?

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have an 02 pi motor in my 96. is the lower end of a pi motor better then the stock 96
if so what would be the difference? i know everyone gets the intake and heads but what about the rest of it ?

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Its the same bottom end.

The 96-98 have flat pistons and more volume in the head while the 99-04 have dish pistons and less combustion chamber space in the head.

There both weak as **** though

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Its the same bottom end.

The 96-98 have flat pistons and more volume in the head while the 99-04 have dish pistons and less combustion chamber space in the head.

There both weak as **** though
:no The 96-98 have a 12cc dish and the 99-04 have a 17cc dish.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i did the pi intake swap an i noticed i differents in the upper rpm range

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a 5speed 96 gt with cold air, underdrive pullies, nos fuel pump, 373 gears, and full exhaust and the thing is slow! it has about 120k on it. I want it faster but i am not confident enough to do a PI head swap, i know i could do the intake and maybe cams. Is the intake actually worth it? i've heard it adds about 15hp but i want to hear from you guys what your experiences have been with PI intake swaps.
It's like baby steps. We have similar set ups and I installed a PI intake first, the change was nice. Then 3 months later I installed PI cams, also a nice change. But again you will want more (well I do). So now I am shopping for PI heads and maybe a slightly better than pair of cams. But part of my reasoning is I think my valve seals are leaking a little now (puff of smoke out of the tails periodically).

Changing cams (and I removed the front cover) take a little bit of know how. I feel like another day (working) by myself and I could have gotten the heads as well.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'm gonna go for it, i've read a bit about the swap and i'm pretty sure i can tackle it in about a day. I found a complete 99 intake and throttle body/plenum for $100. if i grab it should i use the 99 tb or stick with by 96 tb?

·
Registered
387 Posts
you could use either throttle body

1 - 17 of 17 Posts