Modded Mustang Forums banner

is a PI intake worth it without the heads?

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  zdkel 
#1 ·
I have a 5speed 96 gt with cold air, underdrive pullies, nos fuel pump, 373 gears, and full exhaust and the thing is slow! it has about 120k on it. I want it faster but i am not confident enough to do a PI head swap, i know i could do the intake and maybe cams. Is the intake actually worth it? i've heard it adds about 15hp but i want to hear from you guys what your experiences have been with PI intake swaps.

#4 ·
ive been thinking about doing this, maybe ill do the intake and either search for a set of heads or go with good ported heads. I heard the full swap makes more power than an actual pi motor cause of raised compression

#15 ·
It's like baby steps. We have similar set ups and I installed a PI intake first, the change was nice. Then 3 months later I installed PI cams, also a nice change. But again you will want more (well I do). So now I am shopping for PI heads and maybe a slightly better than pair of cams. But part of my reasoning is I think my valve seals are leaking a little now (puff of smoke out of the tails periodically).

Changing cams (and I removed the front cover) take a little bit of know how. I feel like another day (working) by myself and I could have gotten the heads as well.

Good luck with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.