Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the swap meet last Fall, I bought an antenna pulled from a newer Mustang (looked 94-96) for $5. I installed it right away on my '89 LX, as it screwed right in. However, I didn't get great FM reception, and never any AM. Well, I had thought it was my ancient radio, but the other day, I got an AVIC-D3. Same thing (decent at best FM, no AM). Can anyone confirm or deny that they are different? Perhaps the piece that screws in on a Fox is longer, creating a better ground? I don't know. Before anyone asks, I have no ignition problems. Same exact reception whether the engine is started or not.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
thats a bad ass headunit what did u pay for it? is the antenna wire plugged in in the back of the headunit?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats a bad ass headunit what did u pay for it? is the antenna wire plugged in in the back of the headunit?
I paid $550. It was used, but in absolute mint condition. Yes, it's plugged in the back. If it's not the antenna, perhaps I need a new antenna wire. Or perhaps it might not be conected to the top (near the antenna). I'll check when it's light out.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Did you just buy the mast, or did you but the entire assembly. If you bought just the mast that screws in, then your problem probably lies in either your antenna wire or the connection right at the bottom of the mount on the fender, notorious to go bad in ford trucks, may be the same on the mustangs??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you just buy the mast, or did you but the entire assembly. If you bought just the mast that screws in, then your problem probably lies in either your antenna wire or the connection right at the bottom of the mount on the fender, notorious to go bad in ford trucks, may be the same on the mustangs??
Just the mast that screws in. Tomorrow I'll check under the fender, to see if the antenna wire is firmly on (if on at all).

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Usually it rusts out and you need to replace the mount as well as the antenna wire. Either way, let me know what you find out, I'm actually cleaning out the upstairs of my shop and I found a huge box of old vehicle specific antennas, who knows, I might have one that will work for you.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I paid $550. It was used, but in absolute mint condition. Yes, it's plugged in the back. If it's not the antenna, perhaps I need a new antenna wire. Or perhaps it might not be conected to the top (near the antenna). I'll check when it's light out.
thats a pretty good deal is it a double din?

i am thinking about getting one for my stang... can u take a pic of it so i can see how it looks in there..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Usually it rusts out and you need to replace the mount as well as the antenna wire. Either way, let me know what you find out, I'm actually cleaning out the upstairs of my shop and I found a huge box of old vehicle specific antennas, who knows, I might have one that will work for you.
Thanks a lot, I'll check it out tomorrow. Hopefully it's just the antenna wire.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats a pretty good deal is it a double din?

i am thinking about getting one for my stang... can u take a pic of it so i can see how it looks in there..
Double DIN. It hits the back of two screws, as I wrote it a thread yesterday. I will remove them Tuesday, and it should be a perfect fit after that. I'll have a pic for you by tomorrow, even though it's not a perfect mount yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here's your picture of the AVIC-D3, as promised:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Thats a sweet GPS sterio how much did it cost
BAM

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 17 of 17 Posts