Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 331 with a 7 quart oil pan and i am making it a street motor should i get a windage tray some people say yes some say wast of money has anybody had them did it make a difference?

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
yes they are worth it. get it.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Street motor.... waste of money.
get one and run it with your girdle
I disagree.

most newer cars are coming with them. the 2011 5.0 has a windage tray built into the damn pan gasket for shits sake.

also the all mighty woody of ford strokers said himself many times that a windage tray is worth it, but a girdle is garbage, just not to tear a motor down/pull the motor just for a windage tray, as its a minimal gain.

I would want to keep the 7qt's of oil in the pan, and not slopping around on my crank, slowing the motor/momentum/acceleration down.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
My wife's 98 Monte Carlo has one built into the pan gasket also, but that doesn't mean he needs one. If he really wants to pull his motor to put one in, so be it. Not worth it for a street car, IMHO.

Also, you'd run one just cuz Woody says so? What if Woody said valley girdle's are the cat's ass, would you run one too? I love how some people will make a reference to a certain person that if they say to do it, you should. My buddies dad put my shortblock together. Running good. I should ask him if I should run one.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
To the OP. Save the cash on the windage tray and one or two quarts of oil per oil change and just run 5 or 6 quarts. Will do the same thing.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
this is good to know.....cuz i have a 7qt oil pan.....So i should only put 5-6 qts of oil in ?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Depends. There was a dude a while back that was in Cali and wanted to run a 7 qt pan for oil longevity with the hot cali heat. But if you are in San Diego, the weather doesn't get too hot there, does it? Anywho, I would only run 5 or 6 qt's in it if it were me.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
^okay.

it doesnt get that hot, maybe for a month or two but thats about it, but this isnt going to be a DD any ways

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
I run 7 quarts in mine and I dont have a dipstick. Pro. Engine. Builder

·
902 Posts
just fill the engine with oil untill it comes out of the dipstick, that way you cant go wrong

·
Registered
347 Posts
i have a girdle and no windag tray on a 347 stroker street/strip car in doing fine

1 - 20 of 20 Posts