Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
It's not easy being green!
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so after some slight research on the forum, I'm trying to track down a chirping noise coming from the stang'. It sounds like a squeaky belt except it goes away when I engage my clutch. I can literally push my clutch in hardly at all (like less than half an inch), and it goes away. Noise comes back when in neutral and driving. Just a slight chirp...

So ideas? If it is, I read I have to drop my tranny :( I've never done work like that, can't afford a shop, nor have a lift of ANY kind... being in college sucks sometimes lol

Anyways after responses, and I do lets say need a new one, should I replace anything else while doing the repair? My clutch feels really solid. No slips or grinds of any kind. Just trying to make a list for if I had to do it.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
That's obvious signs of throw out bearing. Being hard for money I would just replace that and not touch the clutch. But if you swing it and plan on decent power down the road, I would replace the clutch and everything else. Yes you will need to drop the transmission

·
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's obvious signs of throw out bearing. Being hard for money I would just replace that and not touch the clutch. But if you swing it and plan on decent power down the road, I would replace the clutch and everything else. Yes you will need to drop the transmission
Yeah I didn't wanna revive a really old thread or I would've posted in that. Other than the clutch and TOB, what else would you reccomend replacing? I can afford a new clutch and TOB (Probably go with a Ford racing replacment, since I've heard ones that come with a clutch kit are crap), but pushing that is where I don't think I can swing it. Like if I had to add a flywheel onto it, etc...

So clutch, TOB, what else?? Thanks! I have a friend who use to work at a Chevy dealer who will be helping me install my brakes and he is super cheap on labor. He should be able to do this and help me.

Edit: I plan on keeping the car a bolt on though. I just want to throw on some M80's to get rid of my drone from my flows but I guess replacing the clutch while I'm doing this wouldn't hurt since I have to drop the tranny for both

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah I didn't wanna revive a really old thread or I would've posted in that. Other than the clutch and TOB, what else would you reccomend replacing? I can afford a new clutch and TOB (Probably go with a Ford racing replacment, since I've heard ones that come with a clutch kit are crap), but pushing that is where I don't think I can swing it. Like if I had to add a flywheel onto it, etc...

So clutch, TOB, what else?? Thanks! I have a friend who use to work at a Chevy dealer who will be helping me install my brakes and he is super cheap on labor. He should be able to do this and help me.

Edit: I plan on keeping the car a bolt on though. I just want to throw on some M80's to get rid of my drone from my flows but I guess replacing the clutch while I'm doing this wouldn't hurt since I have to drop the tranny for both
New clutch cable if it's the original one. Firewall adjuster. Aluminum quadrant. Clutch fork perhaps.

My TOB is on its way out as well. Not happy with the noise it's making. Other than the noise it does work great.

·
Registered
485 Posts
How many miles? If I am replacing a clutch that has been in the car for awhile then I would change the pilot bearing, pivot stud/ball, and clutch fork too. I would look for ford parts for all of the parts listed, but if you don't want to do all ford at the minimum do ford bearings

·
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New clutch cable if it's the original one. Firewall adjuster. Aluminum quadrant. Clutch fork perhaps.

My TOB is on its way out as well. Not happy with the noise it's making. Other than the noise it does work great.
Alright so TOB, clutch, clutch cable... I'm not a mechanical idiot but I'm not sure what the rest is or does. Would they be be dire need to be replaced or just recommended because the work I'm putting in? Remember.... college kid on a budget lol I can swing the major components but anything that for sure wouldn't need to be replaced I'll manage I suppose.
How many miles? If I am replacing a clutch that has been in the car for awhile then I would change the pilot bearing, pivot stud/ball, and clutch fork too. I would look for ford parts for all of the parts listed, but if you don't want to do all ford at the minimum do ford bearings
A little over 137xxx. So higher mileage.

·
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you plan on using an stock style clutch then I wouldn't worry with the firewall adjuster or aluminum quadrant.

I would definitely do the pilot bearing, pivot stud/ball, and clutch fork though
Alright I've written down all the parts and found them all. Oh man I dread paying for all this haha.... Anything else misc I might need to know? I plan on buying the parts within the month or early august and doing it in September. I know it can wait less then two months. Just paid for all new brakes and rotors so I need to save a little lol

Reps to everyone for their info!

Edit: and yes I will be replacing it with a stock style clutch! I have no plans nor the funds to throw power at my 2v and if I did, I would probably upgrade to a 4v if I wanted to anyways... One day :lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts