Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a 99 6 banger for $500. It has a blown head gasket, so my wheels started spining. What would be needed to swap it to a 4.6 car?

Here is what I can come up with in my head.

Motor
Tranny
ECU and harness

Anything else?

Just looking to make a bare bones street car. No ac or anything like that.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
that should do it. if you're planning on staying na, i would go with a mark viii motor with cobra intake swap though. and get some 4.30's and rip ass on the street.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
exhaust, drive shaft, motor mounts, clutch (if its stick), gauge cluster. And honestly i would do the brakes too. Gonna have all the extra go of a GT or Cobra but the stoppers of a 6er.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
you'll need a bit more. I just did this with my buddy last spring in his car. here's the main parts of what you'll need:

4.6 with engine harness, pcm, and pcm harness.
trans and trans harness
complete hydroboost brake setup(all lines, master cyl, etc)
instrument cluster
you'll also need the gt pedals, the hydroboost brakes connect to the pedals differently then the v6 pedals and thus you need the pedals.
and that should be it.

You dont really need the 8.8 altho it's a good idea. the 7.5 prolly wont last too long behind the 4.6.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
exhaust, drive shaft, motor mounts, clutch (if its stick), gauge cluster. And honestly i would do the brakes too. Gonna have all the extra go of a GT or Cobra but the stoppers of a 6er.
the gt and v6 brakes are the same. as far as calipers/rotors go anyway.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
well if theyre the same he wouldnt necessarily need to switch to hydroboost then would he? There might be some other issues but still wouldnt be a necessity would it?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
well if theyre the same he wouldnt necessarily need to switch to hydroboost then would he? There might be some other issues but still wouldnt be a necessity would it?
the hydroboost is necessary because there's no room for the usual vac operated brake master like what the v6 has. also the power steering pump is plumbed in with the hydroboost so if you want power steering without the hydroboost you'd have to make your own lines. i guess if you were really pinching pennies you could just convert to manual brakes and dont put on power steering.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
don't forget the fuel system, the cooling system, exhaust, etc,etc.

as far as new edge cars go, the only real components that v-6 & v-8 cars share is the body. glass & basic interior.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
don't forget the fuel system, the cooling system, exhaust, etc,etc.

as far as new edge cars go, the only real components that v-6 & v-8 cars share is the body. glass & basic interior.
majority of the fuel system is the same, the lines/tank/pump are all the same all he needs is the fuel rails and injectors. the radiators are different but I'm sure you could use the v6 one, the v6 rad fan will work on the gt radiator.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
majority of the fuel system is the same, the lines/tank/pump are all the same all he needs is the fuel rails and injectors. the radiators are different but I'm sure you could use the v6 one, the v6 rad fan will work on the gt radiator.

the parts are similar but pretty much every part you just listed has a diffrent part number v-6 - v-8.

I guess a person can short cut anything but I cant see giving advice that deals in mabies & "I think you can make it fit"

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Casper is right, even though they are nearly the same, they are not. If done right they need to be replaced or he will end up with a $500 v8.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did this swap myself and im happy with it. but take it from me try and find a donor car or contact mps n they can sell you the entire swap for 2,500-3000. last thing u want is something to break if ghetto rigged n not know how to fix it. just swap it all in n be done with it. you cant guarantee that normal mod parts would work at well if mixed parts are used. just way to many variables.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts