Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found this on craigslist and it looks like what i've been lookin for. needs some work but it's runnin. tell me what you think.

1986 MUSTANG GT

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you happen to have a spare transmission?
hah, no. but i'm not opposed to having it rebuilt. owner said synchronizers were gettin squirly. figured it would be a good jumping off point for a project.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
how much work is the rear mail seal? is that something someone could do themselves?

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how much work is the rear mail seal? is that something someone could do themselves?
i'm not sure. i've got some really "handy" buddies and a place to do pretty much any kind of work that would need to be done. but i've never done it before though, so i wouldn't know.

i'd probably just have it done while the tranny was gettin reworked/replaced.

this all considering that i get the car, i can't even go ook at it for a few days cause the owner won't have the keys until her hubby gets back from the boat. which is wednesday.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
What does he mean by ground problem? sounds like it has an electrical gremlin that he can't/didn't bother to figure out.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What does he mean by ground problem? sounds like it has an electrical gremlin that he can't/didn't bother to figure out.
don't know. i'm not too worried about that. i worked on car electronics for almost ten years. DC electronics = easy day.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i just hope they don't sell it before i can get out to see it. which, sadly, has been the case with the last 3 cars i looked at.

p.s. Coheed and Cambria = BAMFs. :rockon

·
Registered
154 Posts
if he needs the money fast see if you can get it a little lower also

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
looks good.. the rear seal is easy and like everyone said it would be done with any tranny rebuild..i know i always replace it when i rebuild the t5 its like 3 dollars and takes 5 minutes...i did whack my thumb replacing one in a t5 i rebuilt yesterday though..it took me one minute of work and 4 minutes of cussing cause i was in pain...if u do get it and the syncros are starting to go do not drive it any more... once the syncros are bad then the gears start to get rounded so a $50 set of syncros quickly turns into $50 for syncros $70 for a second gear $60 for 3rd gear and $55 for the 1-2 slider like the one i did yesterday. plus the cost of the labor..

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i'm going to look at it today, after i get my taxes done. if the body and interior look someone decent, i'm going to make an offer. maybe my return will cover it. but then, i've got wife who wants a new laptop. we all know how that's gonna turn out.... me takin the money and not gettin any for about 3 months. :D

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
so good news. tax return was enough to cover the car and a laptop for the wife. went and looked at it. interior looks pretty good. the front seats don't match. i know that sounds wierd. some hick put a cheap ass bucket seat on the driver side. the back seat is vinyl. doesn't matter. i'm gonna pull it anyway. and the right front looks stock and faded. paint on the other hand, looks really good. or atleast a lot better than i expected. it needs a few things as far as looks go, but all in all, not too bad. first thing of course will be to get the tranny fixed. and, the guys wife said that there's a short to ground somewhere, and the battery will go dead.

i'm going to go give it another look wednesday, when they have the keys. and more than likely will be bringing it home. i'm pretty stoked.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts