Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 5.0 with 22k miles. I’ve always been skeptical of my car burning oil due to the fact that I always get different readings on dipstick. I ended just thinking it was due to me checking it either while the engine was cold and other times while it was warm. Today however I changed my oil and noticed only around 6.5-7 quarts out of the 8 quarts when I drained it. Last oil change however was around I would say 3500-4000 miles ago, I used the recommended 5w-20 Valvoline and now am using Mobil 1. The car is daily driven and I do tend to drive it hard, however I’ve noticed no blue smoke, but on start ups when standing behind the car I faintly smell a sweet smell which i’m guessing is oil or maybe just normal combustion smell.. idk

·
Super Moderator
4,831 Posts
Put a catch can on there and watch it. Most likely it’s burning some oil but not a lot. You have to remember that there is oil in the heads and filter that don’t make it back to the pan. But they are known to burn a little oil as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put a catch can on there and watch it. Most likely it’s burning some oil but not a lot. You have to remember that there is oil in the heads and filter that don’t make it back to the pan. But they are known to burn a little oil as well.
Hmm okay I have thought of that, is there a specific catch can you recommend and should I get two or just one would be enough?

·
Super Moderator
4,831 Posts
Jlt makes a good catch can but they’re all about the same. I ran a cheap, no name brand on my 07 gt. It just has to have an actual filter to collect oil droplets in the air. I’d suggest both sides.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts