Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im driving through my local college to pick a friend up and when coming to a stop and shifting into neutral What sounds like someone screaming like a banshee comes from my car as i press the clutch. I drove forward to the parking lot next to me and shifting the clutch felt almost sticky and the noise continued and it began to emit smoke and smell horrible. I think its my fly bearing, any input would be nice because i gotta wait till Tuesday to even call my mechanic. Thanks!

·
2k3 Blown Mach 1
2,183 Posts
IF you struggle to put it especially on first or revers then yes, also put it on 5th gear on the highway if the revs go up then yes, and if it slips. Make sure to change your pilot bearing (some clutch don't include them) and also the tool, also change the rear main seal as well while doing it.... :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you are having clutch problems, avoid the highway. . . . .x3 on the throwout bearing. How many miles are on the car?
I had a TO bearing squealing a little... 55 mile drive on the interstate took it from "eh I think I hear it" to "OMFG where is a garage?"

+1 Avoid highway w/ bad TO bearing.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
theres just over 100k on her. I had to take the highway home and the noise progressively got worse and would randomly go away. Now its pretty much constant even at idle. I going to the mechanic tomorrow I'm going to tell him what I think about the TO bearing and tell him to lemme know what he thinks when hes got it open. If there is more to replace then whatever Id rather be safe.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Happened to me. It's the throw out bearing and if it's going out your clutch will soon as well.

just cause your TO bearing goes out doesnt mean your clutch is on its way...my TO bearing was FU**ED up bad...and the clutch looked new still. 100$ and over night I had my TO bearing pulled out new one in.

$100 was cause i had a buddy do it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
just cause your TO bearing goes out doesnt mean your clutch is on its way...my TO bearing was FU**ED up bad...and the clutch looked new still. 100$ and over night I had my TO bearing pulled out new one in.

$100 was cause i had a buddy do it.
There's always exceptions but from all the people I've talked to if you the TO bearing it bad then it's always a good idea to replace the clutch. Of course then again when you replace the clutch you should replace all that stuff anyways since it usually comes with the kit.

Just like oil. you can change oil without changing the filter but if you change the filter you are supposed to change the oil too. Although it doesn't make sense why you would leave out a filter anyways seeing as how cheap they are.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts