Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cones = Yummy!
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I changed my fuel filter today and noticed the rear is kind of dirty.. I got the car in July, it's an 01 had 32k when I got it, now about 36k..

I'm planning on putting in 4.10s and a rebuild next month, so should I park her till then? I'm wondering if this is normal or something I need to worry about. This is my first manual transmission I've owned.

Thanks.. see pics

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
haha sorry but the title cracked my **** up! Lol

looks like it....did you look to see inthe fluid filler cap is on all the way?

clean it and then drive in 10 to 50 miles and see if it is still leaking and maybe it will have a line where is it coming from. It could just be a seal.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Jack it up, pull out the filler bolt and stick something in to check the fluid level. Just don't drop it in there. You can add some fluid if it needs it and you should be good to go until you get the gears installed next month. Looks like a slow leak at worst.

Or you can pull the cover off and reseal it and add new fluids. That would be a waste of money if your opening it in a few weeks anyway though.

·
Cones = Yummy!
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha sorry but the title cracked my **** up! Lol

looks like it....did you look to see inthe fluid filler cap is on all the way?
yeah that was kind of the point.. :)

Thanks all.. I'm guessing there's a filler bolt for the rear fluid right? not the tranny fluid.. They are sepearte right? I was about to change the transmission fluid, but I need a few more jackstands (or a lift) to make sure I get it level..

I did feel it and it's grimey/greasy not liquid like.. I'll clean it off today and drive tomorrow and see what it looks like.. I drive in rain (no snow) always keep the body clean, never cleaned the underside..

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Yeah the fill plug for the rear is a pain in the ass to get to, your best bet would be to forget about it if you are going to get gears sometime in the next few months. I had a leak due to not cleaning everything well enough before applying the rtv and pretty much ran it damn near dry for months knowing that im just going to swap in a 31 spline diff anyway and redo it all then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.