Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My car has a red line at 5750.
Is their a limiter to prevent over reeving the engine?
Thanks!:)

·
Registered
597 Posts
There is a rev limiter in neutral as well as all other gears there are different settings depending on the gear you are in. It prevents you destroying your engine. You can purchase a Tuner and mess around with the numbers especially for drag racing at the TRACK, but if you don't know what you are doing, I would recommend you leave it alone. Plus with our engine power/torque drop off is around 5500-5800 rpm so boosting the level will not yield more power.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
I've tried changing the revs for different things with my tuner, and most of the time nothing changes. Rev limit. Idle rpms. Nothing seems to change.

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Do not turn off your rev limiter! I did and I missed 2nd gear and went al the way to 7K 2 times and my thermostat housing blew apart :lol

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I've tried changing the revs for different things with my tuner, and most of the time nothing changes. Rev limit. Idle rpms. Nothing seems to change.
Manual or auto? Let's say you set your neutral rev limiter for 5000RPM. Hop in your car, turn it on, throw it in neutral, and mash the gas pedal. It will hit 5000RPM then you'll start sounding like a ricer with the "brrm brrm brrm" noise as you bounce off it. Same deal with in gear rev limiters. For the idle RPM, when you're sitting sitting still in neutral, your car will stay revved to whatever you set the idle RPM to. Stock idle is probably around 750-800RPM or so. If you up it to 1000RPM then you will be at 1000RPM when you're sitting still or when you put the car in neutral and don't touch the gas. You won't really notice rev limiters unless you're pushing your car hard and forget to pay attention to your RPMs. I actually did that the other night :sorry You also won't really notice rev limiters if you're in an auto because you're not manually controlling each gear because the computer is shifting for you.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Do not turn off your rev limiter! I did and I missed 2nd gear and went al the way to 7K 2 times and my thermostat housing blew apart :lol
You are just plain mean to your tranny.

:shiftyeyes

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Manual or auto? Let's say you set your neutral rev limiter for 5000RPM. Hop in your car, turn it on, throw it in neutral, and mash the gas pedal. It will hit 5000RPM then you'll start sounding like a ricer with the "brrm brrm brrm" noise as you bounce off it. Same deal with in gear rev limiters. For the idle RPM, when you're sitting sitting still in neutral, your car will stay revved to whatever you set the idle RPM to. Stock idle is probably around 750-800RPM or so. If you up it to 1000RPM then you will be at 1000RPM when you're sitting still or when you put the car in neutral and don't touch the gas. You won't really notice rev limiters unless you're pushing your car hard and forget to pay attention to your RPMs. I actually did that the other night :sorry You also won't really notice rev limiters if you're in an auto because you're not manually controlling each gear because the computer is shifting for you.
I have an auto. I'm familiar with how rev limiters work ;)

With my xcal3 I tried dropping the idle rpms to the minimum they would go to (500ish) but they are still sitting around the stock point. Rev limiter is at 4k park/neutral, drive is at red line-ish. Which would actually be called the WOT shift point I suppose. But yeah that's where it is limited to.

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Maybe if I had headlight covers, I wouldn't have these problems :shiftyeyes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts