Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tuning Junkie
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have a no start issue I'm fixing and have narrowed it down to a bad ignition switch or bad lock cylinder or both. (I could be wrong) My 2000 GT has all the power in the world when i turn the key but will not turn the starter. My starter, battery, and alternator have ~2000 miles on them and were installed new. If I push start it it will run and drive. I don't want to buy parts I don't need to and am trying to figure out if its the lock cylinder or the ignition switch. This car has always run great and is cared for. If it is a good idea to replace both please let me know that but I would rather just buy the bad part.

Thank you in advance for any help. This community has helped me before and I appreciate it.

RC

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
What does it do when you turn the key all the way? Does everything go dead? Does it click once?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Tuning Junkie
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What does it do when you turn the key all the way? Does everything go dead? Does it click once?

The dash lights come on but the engine does not start/turn over. There is no clicking sound. Everything seems to work windows lights ect...

·
Tuning Junkie
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone sent me a message that I cannot find. I haven't been on the forums for years and am not tech savvy and the site changed since last time I was here. Please post info in a reply on this post. Thanks for everyones help. Its very much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Try a jumper wire to bypass the neurtal safety switch. I doubt it’s the lock cylinder or you’d have issues like the door chime on at weird times. If you can, pull the steering column shroud and visably check the ignition switch. I’ve had them seperate causing it to only run when the key was held in the start position. You’ll be able to tell by messing with it if that’s the issue or not.

I knew I recognized your username. Yeah this place is a ghost town. Join Sn95Forums it’s got good traffic and some great, knowledgable people over there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts