Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
barstang
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 67 mustang convertible 6 cylinder which I will swap out to a V 8. I'm told that I need to replace my rear end to 5 bolt.

I saw the following on craigs list. Would this be a good fit? He is asking $120 Thanks

Ford 8.8 rear out of a 1991 ranger with only 60,000 miles on it.it has a limited slip rear and bearings and brakes in it are pretty good.it would be a decent up grade for the off road Jeeper.it has everything from leaf springs to parking brake cables it also has 3.73 gears, also have a front dana 35 ttb with rotors hubs and coild asking 80 For That

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It could be. I'm pretty sure a ranger is the easiest 8.8 to swap in, but I'm not sure of all the details. Google "ranger 8.8 into vintage mustang", and read some of the swap threads.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Not sure about the body width of the ranger to see if its a straight swap. The Explorer 8.8 swap is very popular. 31 spline, 3.73 gears, disc brakes and width make it ideal. Some people swap the longer tube for a shorter one, thus centering the pumpkin and allowing for a little more tire under the rear by essentially "narrowing" the rear end some.

·
Registered Rainbow Troll
746 Posts
I have an 8.8 in my 66. It was about 1.5" wider on each side than stock, and thus wouldn't fit stock 5-lug wheels. This wasn't a problem, as I went with 07 mustang 17x8 wheels with more backspacing (5.75"). The 67 was slightly wider than 66, so you might not have as many issues. Go with an explorer or fox rear end. The fox rearend seems to be least trouble imo. A big plus is that most units already have a decent differential and decent gears in them, which means fewer upgrades down the road.

I personally got a 4-lug 8.8 from a Fox (not sure on the year). I bought a kit to convert the rear to 5 lug axles with disc brakes for ~$400 on eBay. Definitely an excellent upgrade for the car. My car was also an I6-V8 swap- Have you already replaced your spindles/steering components?

-Dave

·
barstang
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rear End Swap

Thanks Dave,
I'm just starting this process, have not replaced steering or suspension components or any components. At the stage to work on floor pans and torque boxes. Some threads mention that on 67's the I6 and V8 spindles are the same? Regardless, I've been researching Opentracker suspension item.
I'd like to have a nice smooth riding car. I don't know if that is overkill. I'm not looking for a racing car. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Barry

I have an 8.8 in my 66. It was about 1.5" wider on each side than stock, and thus wouldn't fit stock 5-lug wheels. This wasn't a problem, as I went with 07 mustang 17x8 wheels with more backspacing (5.75"). The 67 was slightly wider than 66, so you might not have as many issues. Go with an explorer or fox rear end. The fox rearend seems to be least trouble imo. A big plus is that most units already have a decent differential and decent gears in them, which means fewer upgrades down the road.

I personally got a 4-lug 8.8 from a Fox (not sure on the year). I bought a kit to convert the rear to 5 lug axles with disc brakes for ~$400 on eBay. Definitely an excellent upgrade for the car. My car was also an I6-V8 swap- Have you already replaced your spindles/steering components?

-Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts