Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have a garage I can see leaks and today I saw a few spots of oil near the Tranny where the rear main seal is. There were 2 spots, about 6-8 inches both. One has some creamish looking spots in it and the other didnt. I put a new rear main seal on few months ago when fixed Timing cover leak. I inspected the driver's side head from under car and it appears to have oil deposits on it. Looks almost oily but dry, but i could tell something is leaking on the underside of the head. Also see some on oil pan and rear main seal area. I'm thinking its dripping down from head and making it look like the oil pan is leaking. I also think the rear main seal is leaking too though.

now the thing is I checked the oil and it looks fine on stick. Just changed 400 miles ago and it looks new on stick, clean. Checked coolant also and it's fine. I'm wondering if its possible there's maybe a small coolant leak at head gasket thats draining down and when runs on oil pan and front of tranny it hits the floor and mix? Car doesnt overheat or anything.

Also my oil tube is pretty much touching the header. I've tried to adjust it and it still seems to hit. Will this eventually burn a hole thru it?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Lord only knows what happened to the oil on the floor, but when you have coolant in your oil, it's ENTIRELY milky. Not just spoty. No worries man. Dipstick won't burn through any quicker than your header will. Look at the back of the lower intake to block mating area and see if you have oil leaking there. You may need a small mirror similar to a dentist mirror, only larger. They are available at most autoparts places

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lord only knows what happened to the oil on the floor, but when you have coolant in your oil, it's ENTIRELY milky. Not just spoty. No worries man. Dipstick won't burn through any quicker than your header will. Look at the back of the lower intake to block mating area and see if you have oil leaking there. You may need a small mirror similar to a dentist mirror, only larger. They are available at most autoparts places
Or I can take my finger and rub back there right?

would the dipstick be milky also?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Yep. All your oil would be milky. Not just some. Rubbing your finger back there and won't tell you if it's just greasy build up or oil leaking, but cleaning it off if there is anythign will help you see if it continues.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. All your oil would be milky. Not just some. Rubbing your finger back there and won't tell you if it's just greasy build up or oil leaking, but cleaning it off if there is anythign will help you see if it continues.
and how would the dipstick look?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
You won't burn a whole through it unless your headers were glowing red, and even that's questionable, hahaha. I had headers in the past where it was right on the dip stick tube also. I believe the worst I ever saw was a spot of discoloration on the tube or dipstick, can't remember though. That was many moons ago.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Or if you were asking about the oil on the dipstick, it would obviously be milky too. I don't know how I can say it any clearer. ALL YOUR OIL.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or if you were asking about the oil on the dipstick, it would obviously be milky too. I don't know how I can say it any clearer. ALL YOUR OIL.
yeah meant to clarify the oil on the dipstick lol. I will clean the back of the intake if i can't get a small mirror and keep an eye on it. Next step would be to get it to a shop and get it inspected to see exactly where they are coming from

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I would just hose the motor down real good with some engine degreaser and a pressure washer first, or you may end up chasing your tail. Are you mechanically inclined? Is this something you are interested in tackling yourself? If not, that's ok too. Some people would rather pay others, but here we can help you along the way if you want to do it yourself. Just know your limits. If you tear something apart, be sure you can put it back together.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Sounds like oil leaking, as mentioned, where the lower intake meets the block. It will spill off and drop off either side of the block. First picture looks like trans fluid to me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would just hose the motor down real good with some engine degreaser and a pressure washer first, or you may end up chasing your tail. Are you mechanically inclined? Is this something you are interested in tackling yourself? If not, that's ok too. Some people would rather pay others, but here we can help you along the way if you want to do it yourself. Just know your limits. If you tear something apart, be sure you can put it back together.
yes I am mechanically inclined and do anything that I feel up to the task of doing. I have put on lower intakes, fixed the timing cover gasket leak, and a host of other things and diagnosing. Yeah i really need to find out if its leaking at the back of the intake and if so how badly. Not that any leak aint bad, but it will serve as to how quickly I am to fix it. I hate to pull off that intake though i wanted to try another intake on to see how much of a difference it would make in my torque and low end HP and that would be a perfect reason to swap them out.

I have never been a fan though of taking things off and on and off and on.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But you 'do it nice when you do it twice', lol
lol i guess my train of thought is to do it right the first time and I just hate to have to redo it lol

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i just hate wasting time and money

by the way have another question. Is the clutch cable being about an inch away from the header fine? Actually got a new one to put on and today with old one on i see its bout an inch from header. I did have it zip tied but didnt have the bracket attached to the firewall. I did attach to firewall today just to see if i had a bolt for it but didnt pay attention to see if it was more than an inch away from header

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have no answer on that one. Probably fine, but keep it as far away as you can. That's all that you can do.
ok. i wish there was something I could put at rear of intake after cleaned up good, that would seal it up and prevent any seepage of coolant

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Looking at my clutch cable, it's also only about an inch away from my header. And are you sure you are leaking coolant? if so, the gasket is toast. Don't use any of those 'miracle' sealers that you pour in your coolant. They plug other crap up and you could end up with even more trouble.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking at my clutch cable, it's also only about an inch away from my header. And are you sure you are leaking coolant? if so, the gasket is toast. Don't use any of those 'miracle' sealers that you pour in your coolant. They plug other crap up and you could end up with even more trouble.
well the overflow jug's fluid looses some but its not real real fast. I would say , well to be honest havent really diagnosed it in awhile as far as just how much coolant is disappearing from the overflow jug. My car is only driven on the weekends anyway so my rate might be different than someone who drives their car everday or during week to. I guess it would be best to compare by mileage as far as how fast the coolant leaves other guys overflow jugs and how often they have to add some back. Also, in the oil that appears to be coolant cause if that was regular oil it shouldnt have looked milky, biege at all in spots but I'm thinking its leaking then draining down onto the oil leak then forming then dripping together even if not at that fast of a pace or drip

1 - 18 of 18 Posts