Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had udps for about 2 weeks now and just wondering if it should look like this, it is the fall but only this one is this way

another

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
WOW watch out for that missing one. Don't take any chances Bro. This is no Smart car with puny cilinders.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the 4th stud broke off when i was tqing heh, so you think i should call steeda? it was fine before i installed it and now it looks like crap.

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
I would call steeda about that... If you take the pulley of is enough of the broken bolt showing to extract it?

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
My goodness :crazy

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
First of all, you should be more worried about correcting the backyard racing install here. Fix the bolt. Never run a pulley short of it's entire alottment of hardware.

When your done doing that, call steeda and see what they say. They are the only ones that can answer that question honestly. If they tell you to fly a kite, have it powder coated for less than what your return shipping would have cost.

Don't show them that picture of that masterful install though..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
your hilarious emay, as long as this isnt a sign of the piece shattering or anything im fine thanks for all the info

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Nah, that's a poor coating. Actually looks similar to how a dirty metal would react to chrome treatment. Dirty meaning, magnesium or similar particle within the cast.

If it were a structural issue you would be seeing stress fractures and such right now. Looks fairly smooth in the shots you posted.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I have had my steeda udps for a while now and it does not look close to yours. Call steeda, it's probably a bad batch of metal and good luck with backing whats left of your 4th bolt there, if it's still in there.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Erin, I had to shut my office door cause that had me laughing so hard...
Fast - Part of it was sarcasm, but I was being serious, you know that I'm sure. Nothing worse than making a 6200 rpm pull and having a pulley come apart on you. Some people don't understand the repurcussions of doing something like that. When they do come apart they end up fragmenting and pigeon holing numerous other things under the hood. So for something as minor as a bolt extract and repair, we risk all of the above. we call this "hill billy racing" around here.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Fast - Part of it was sarcasm, but I was being serious, you know that I'm sure. Nothing worse than making a 6200 rpm pull and having a pulley come apart on you. Some people don't understand the repurcussions of doing something like that. When they do come apart they end up fragmenting and pigeon holing numerous other things under the hood. So for something as minor as a bolt extract and repair, we risk all of the above. we call this "hill billy racing" around here.
how do you know your a *******??

when you have an engine hanging from your tree!!!:lmao

Duck tape might fix that bolt too...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Deffinetely gotta call steeda about that. I bet they'll replace it. You buy them new?

Oh, and FIX THAT BOLT. SHoulda never even started the car like that, let alone drove 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Considering I know how well the pulleys can come apart, get a bolt in there NOW! The finish is horrible. Call Steeda, they'll probably replace it right away.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I just noticed mine looks like that too, except for the bolt thing.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I hit mine with a couple coats of paste wax today. It looks much better. Probably should have waxed it before I put it on, mental note for future mods.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Is the paint gone, or is that white crusty crap on the painted metal (ie did you have a coolant spill?

...and don't run that engine till you fix that bolt - the stresses on that thing are big (due to its larger diameter), and you may set up a stress crack. NastyStang has some cool pics of two of those Steeda UDP's failing.

I'd just clean it up on a wire wheel and hit is with some semi-gloss black paint or get it powdercoated FTW.

·
Registered
476 Posts
All the paint is intact, it just seems like they didn't use glossy paint. No leaks in my engine compartment. Maybe water carries contaminates from some of the aluminum pieces under the hood.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts