Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Livin' the Good Life
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, my stang is an auto.

Anywho, whenever I start up the car, the normal routine, I take it off Park n put it on Drive, I keep my foot on the brake until I feel the car jolt. In other words, the car doesn't go right away when on Drive.

Also, when I actually am driving, I can really feel when the car shifts. Almost like I'm driving a stick w/o manually shifting and w/o a clutch pedal.lol

Anyone else's ride does this or is it just me?

·
Livin' the Good Life
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why do you keep your foot on the brake that long? and yeah its normal i feel every shift, and thats on a stock tune, putting on my bama tune later this week.
Because it doesn't move immediately, and when it does, it's a little jerk. I just wanna make sure my transmission is holding up well. There's 160k on it.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Because it doesn't move immediately, and when it does, it's a little jerk. I just wanna make sure my transmission is holding up well. There's 160k on it.
yeah its normal mine does the same thing, i believe its because the tranny/fluid is not warmed up so it takes a second to shift into drive or reverse when its been sitting overnight or a few hours or something.

just keep your foot on the brake until it goes into gear

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mine does that too, except mine is much more violent. One time when I shifted into drive the car jerked so hard that my girlfriend thought I hit a curb.

It helps if you put it into neutral first, then drive.

I've been trying to just make my trans last until I can do the 5 speed swap

·
Registered
730 Posts
hey buddy ...... our cars look exactly the same and have the same miles.

so weird...

but anyways. when i shift to gear i just slide it in reverse to release the lock and take my foot off the brake while i put it the rest of the way into gear.

your transmission is fine... if you want your shifts to be smooth then just loose the lead in your shoes and back off the gas when its about to shift.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Not that it matters my work truck (F150) does that. It is so freaking violent. As stated its just the cold fluid.

When is the last time you changed your filter and fluid?

·
El Torchy
4,706 Posts
Not that it matters my work truck (F150) does that. It is so freaking violent. As stated its just the cold fluid.

Were talking about tranny fluid right?! Lol

Is this a DIY job or do I need to take it somewhere to get it done... I've never done it before... My car has 90k miles...

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Drop the pan, replace the filter, reinstall the pan, and fill it back up. It's a 30 minute job at most. With 90K miles on the car, you should be on your third transmission fluid change, not your first.

·
Livin' the Good Life
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drop the pan, replace the filter, reinstall the pan, and fill it back up. It's a 30 minute job at most. With 90K miles on the car, you should be on your third transmission fluid change, not your first.
I got mine at 153k. Not sure if it was properly maintained beforehand, but I will do this. Thanks dude!

REPS!!!lol

·
El Torchy
4,706 Posts
It's that simple?! Kinda just like doing an oil change then... Sort of... I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I remember someone told me that you'd need a new gasket for the pan and some special tool to actually put the new fluid in... And a special way to put the screws on the pan itself onto the car...:dunno

·
El Torchy
4,706 Posts
It's that simple?! Kinda just like doing an oil change then... Sort of... I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I remember someone told me that you'd need a new gasket for the pan and some special tool to actually put the new fluid in... And a special way to put the screws on the pan itself onto the car...:dunno

Sorry to butt in like this grabber...:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
A Delayed engagement is not normal on a 4R70w (auto), it has nothing to do with fluid temp, it has to due with internal trans failure/worn part, Servicing the trans probly wont fix it even though it should be done... Im A Transmission/auto Tech here in Sacramento, ca, we see those transmissions in our shop all the time...

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Reuse the stock gasket; it's far better than the cork/rubber ones that come with a new filter. I wouldn't classify a funnel as a special tool. :D It would be a good idea to use an in-lb torque wrench to torque the pan bolts to spec when reinstalling, especially if you haven't done it before. A cheap one is all you need for this job.

1/4" Drive Click Stop Torque Wrench & Quality Torque Wrenches - Harbor Freight

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
A Delayed engagement is not normal on a 4R70w (auto), it has nothing to do with fluid temp, it has to due with internal trans failure/worn part, Servicing the trans probly wont fix it even though it should be done... Im A Transmission/auto Tech here in Sacramento, ca, we see those transmissions in our shop all the time...
well nearly all vehicles i have driven with a 4r70w seem to have this delay when first starting up. i could of swore the tranny fluid being cold was the reason.

i better get my shift kit on before i wreck my tranny even more if it really is because of worn internals:confused:

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts

Yeah my 2000 silverado does this aswell.

When i shift into drive i have to sit on the brake for a few seconds while it shifts into drive and it jerks forward a bit when it finally gets into gear.

·
Livin' the Good Life
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So it's not normal??? I guess all our transmissions are goin to HELL!!! lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts