Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my new tires today. so i call my local tire place and he tells me to get 245/40 18's mounted, balanced and alligned it could cost me 250 dollars... thats adding the 55 dollar fee IF he has to use the "Special Adapters" when he does the alignment. i dont mind paying if this is right but i just didnt think it would cost me more than 100-120

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
What "special" adapters. sounds like he is looking for a sucker. Why would you need an alignment for installing new tires? Is your alignment off?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was under the impression it was good to get an alignment when u install new tires(obviously im wrong lol), plus i just thought it'd be goood since i havent had one since the middle of last summer. i live in MA. we have tehsux potholes up here

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
It doesn't hurt. But I don't get an alignment when I buy new tires unless I see some bad wear patterns or it looks out. I am not saying don't do it, sounds like with your roads its a good idea, but from what he is saying I might try somewhere else. They should be able to put an alignment on it with out anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
k thanx for the info. any ideas as to how much a fair price for mount and balance? this is my first car and first set of new tires, thats y i have no clue lol

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
It doesn't hurt. But I don't get an alignment when I buy new tires unless I see some bad wear patterns or it looks out. I am not saying don't do it, sounds like with your roads its a good idea, but from what he is saying I might try somewhere else. They should be able to put an alignment on it with out anything out of the ordinary.
+1 Aslong as the car drives straight, as Doc mentioned the tires wear properly, then you shouldn't need an alignment.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I have have a 148k on my car, and it's only been aligned one time. That was last fall when I installed the tubular K-member, and coilovers. I have never had unusual tire wear.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
You do not have to get an Alignment with new tires, although it is recommended. There are no special adapters that are needed for the Mustang. He may be talking about an elongation which is simply taking the pop rivet out, but they shouldn't charge for that. Take it to Sears, I was an alignment tech there for 3 years. Wheel Mount and Balance is $60 I think, and that's a lifetime balance and rotate, and the alignment is $69. Don't pay that quack anything.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
+1 Aslong as the car drives straight, as Doc mentioned the tires wear properly, then you shouldn't need an alignment.
If your tires start wearing your too late. You cannot reverse tire wear.

Just because the car drives straight does not mean that you don't need an alignment. Camber doesnt cause a pull and will eat your tires up fast.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
dam the guys around here mount an balance tire all size for 8 bucks each, an alignment is anywhere from 29.95 to 32.95,check around

·
Registered
7 Posts
That price seems really steep. I paid $50 for an alignment and 7 bucks a corner to have my tires mounted and balanced on my 18s.

·
amateur adult film star
1,040 Posts
alignments are about 50 most places charge about 35 to 40 a tire to mount and balance sounds close but id be concerned what kind of adapters they are puting on my car we have adjustable toe and camber from underneath

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
man i would still check around,ask some friends,heck if u have to drive a little ways out of ur town it would be worth it gettin it cheaper than 250

·
amateur adult film star
1,040 Posts
most places have free mount and ballance if you buy tires from them but they will kill you if you dont

1 - 20 of 22 Posts