1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
1 bar = 14.5037738 psi

so that has a range of -15.94 to 44.96 psi

vacuum is usually measured is in/Hg, which would make your range:

-32.46 in/Hg to 44.96 psi (what a typical mechanical gauge reads around)

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't certain which one I had ordered.. cause it's on the way here.. but after looking at my receipt online I did order the one dcook_14 posted the link too

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just went outside to see.. the boost gauge i have now is one with a needle.. and at idle the vaccum is around 14.. So im assuming this gauge should work fine

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mean the car is cold.. i dont know if that has anything to do with it.. but it was in the 14-15 range at idle.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I mean the car is cold.. i dont know if that has anything to do with it.. but it was in the 14-15 range at idle.
Yeah that's low, it should be around 20. Unless for some reason your elevation messes with your vacuum readings...

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
my vacuum reads -15 at idle, -20 if there is any load in low rpms. do you have cams?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
It will read less vacuum when you have cams. My is 18-19 in.hg. at idle. When I'm let off the throttle from WOT it goes to 20.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no my car doesn't have cams..

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Does your current gauge stick? Mine does. It sometime reads 16 in.hg at idle. When I tap the gauge it drops down to 18-19.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont know i will have to check.. Does the digital one i have the link posted to look like it would work?? I got it in the mail today. even if the vacuum wont read low enuff does that realy matter? as long as it reads some and will read all of the actual boost

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
The advertisement says it effectively measures within that specific range. The way its worded I don't think running more vacuum will damage the gauge. It certainly will not hurt your car. Most cars do not have vacuum gauges.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea I already have an autometer gauge with the needle.. im not gonna full uninstall that one. Im gonna just hook this new gauge up under the hood and test it real quick to see if it seems work properly. before i start taking the old guage aloose.. I just was tryin to go digital on all my gauges

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just finished hooking up a digital Tach gauge with shift light.. Im really happy with that, over top of the 5" needle tach that I had..

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Talked to tech support they said the gauge will work fine past -14.5 vacuum. that the ditials just dont read lower but it will post ur vacuum number x 2 when it's over 14.5

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I was at -14 for a while but finally figured out why, the clear vacuum line going into my rubber vacuum line wasn't a solid connection. So I'm back at -21 in hg at idle.

Where do you guys t off for the gauge? I use the hose coming off te back of the plenum sense that's manifold pressure.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I like the idea of a digital gauge too. I was thinking of getting an AEM Digital boost/vacuum gauge. I think it looks badass. Plus itd be easier to see the boost Im making.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yup it does look bad ass.. I got 3 new gauges to go in my car.. all digital... a fuel pressure, wideband air/fuel, and boost... I ordered all mine from GlowShift Performance Gauges & Pods ? Automotive Boost Gauges, Pyrometer I also got their digital tach gauge. Im installing all of them this weekend. once im finished I will post a pic in here so u can see how it looks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts