Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I called a Ford shop to have my car looked at today. I explained to the person on the phone that the car cranks but doesn't start randomly and if I could bring it in for them to check out. The peson (lady) said "We can't diagnose the problem until we can get it to duplicate the problem." "If the car is able to start,there is nothing we can do until it fails to start again"

I asked if there was a way to check the fuel pressure (when running) to see if maybe it's the fuel pump going bad. She said "If the car starts, then the fuel pressure will be correct" I'm thinking to myself "WTF?" She then told me to bring it in friday and they will check to see if it starts from time to time during the day until it fails to start.

Is that a bunch of crap or what? Should I be calling another place?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I would expect that if the fuel pump is unable to maintain the correct pressure in the rails, you would be getting a lean code CEL.

I assume you're not talking about your '82 GT being that this is in the V6 section, and you have a 750dp listed in your sig (also, you listed your intake twice).

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would expect that if the fuel pump is unable to maintain the correct pressure in the rails, you would be getting a lean code CEL.

I assume you're not talking about your '82 GT being that this is in the V6 section, and you have a 750dp listed in your sig (also, you listed your intake twice).
Your correct, it's my 2000 (3.8) mustang.

·
Registered
304 Posts
mine did the same thing for about 3 months before it just quit working altogether turned out being a fuel pump. when the car actually did start pressure gauge did read normal. and I never had a check engine light

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
V6 BIOTCH
6,945 Posts
Have you changed your fuel filter ???
Our focus just did this.
Even got to the point so much pressure was built up between it and the fuel pump that it wouldn't come on.
A clogged filter will over work the fuel pump and destroy it. Cheap/easy filter change can keep you from having to buy a new pump and drop a fuel tank to change it...

·
Registered
390 Posts
So I called a Ford shop to have my car looked at today. I explained to the person on the phone that the car cranks but doesn't start randomly and if I could bring it in for them to check out. The peson (lady) said "We can't diagnose the problem until we can get it to duplicate the problem." "If the car is able to start,there is nothing we can do until it fails to start again"

I asked if there was a way to check the fuel pressure (when running) to see if maybe it's the fuel pump going bad. She said "If the car starts, then the fuel pressure will be correct" I'm thinking to myself "WTF?" She then told me to bring it in friday and they will check to see if it starts from time to time during the day until it fails to start.

Is that a bunch of crap or what? Should I be calling another place?
listen very closely for fuel pump running before you turn the key to the point of cranking, it will run for 2 seconds as soon as ccrm/eec is powered. if you dont hear it car wont start. if pump seems to check out ok i would suspect coil pack/wiring or crank sensor as these are very important to keep engine running.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Itll crank over if the relay is going out
Whenever my starter relay (aka start selenoid) goes, you don't get any crank.

I'm not sure how you would, being that the relay is completing the electrical connection from the battery to the starter; if it was bad, why would the car crank over?

If the car cranks and doesn't start, it's either not getting fuel or it's not getting spark.

Fuel filter would be a good one to check before dropping the tank to replace the pump.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Whenever my starter relay (aka start selenoid) goes, you don't get any crank.

I'm not sure how you would, being that the relay is completing the electrical connection from the battery to the starter; if it was bad, why would the car crank over?

If the car cranks and doesn't start, it's either not getting fuel or it's not getting spark.

Fuel filter would be a good one to check before dropping the tank to replace the pump.
Not starter solenoid relay. Look in the engine compartment fuse box and switch the starter relay with another one to verify if thats the problem

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Yeah, took it to the store tonight then came back home and parked it. After I shut it off, I wanted to see if it would start again or not. When it started, it acted like it does when you're just about to run out of gas and was barely running. I turned it off and tried again and got the same results (spit and sputtered). So now I'm 99.99% sure it's the fuel pump.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Yeah, took it to the store tonight then came back home and parked it. After I shut it off, I wanted to see if it would start again or not. When it started, it acted like it does when you're just about to run out of gas and was barely running. I turned it off and tried again and got the same results (spit and sputtered). So now I'm 99.99% sure it's the fuel pump.
Well hopefully that solves your problem. Ive had my fair share of problems with my old 00 gt. Its a pain in the ass lol

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As long as you have money and like working on your car you can look forward to all the problems it could have lol
Since I bought this car a year ago, I have replaced the following:

2 rear rotors and brakes
1 front rotor and brakes
1 front caliper
1 rear axle seal

I have the fuel pump to replace now and also need to install new swaybar end links since one broke 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Since I bought this car a year ago, I have replaced the following:

2 rear rotors and brakes
1 front rotor and brakes
1 front caliper
1 rear axle seal

I have the fuel pump to replace now and also need to install new swaybar end links since one broke 3 weeks ago.
not too bad. When I had my 00 gt I replaced all 4 calipers, rotors, pads, front drivers caliper again (froze up), all 16 lash adjustors, 4 tires, coils, motor, exhaust, and some rust. Like I said as long as u have the money and like workin on your car its fine but I had the car for 2 years and I was 17-19 so its not like I had a lot of money or time to waste on it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts