Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard from 3 reliable ford mechanics that our stock PI heads (i have a 2000 GT) have a nasty design flaw, they made them with a 3 thread spark plug pattern, making them very easy to pop out (the spark plugs) due to the fact that aluminum expands and contracts alot and so on and so forth.. ending with a permanent head damage, and having to re-thread the pattern or just replacing the damaged one.

Now i think this was corrected 2001+

How true is this? i hope its not :mad:
even over-tightening the splugs would damage them...

NOW, here's my OTHER question... lol
IF i port my heads, would they have a higher compression? making them even more vulnerable to this "thread issue" and tearing those 3 thread spark plug patterns?

Im going crazy now.. :sorry

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
I think its 4 threads, but yeah, for a short while ford skipped out on threads for the spark plugs. Just install them with antiseize and don't over tighten them. Although you may see here and there where people blew out a plug, plenty more never have that issue. Having your heads ported shouldn't change your compression ratio.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
its more a windsor motor issue to my knowledge which is a 99/00 model. it can happen on any head if overtighten'd/not tight enough. as for the compression, it will depend on if/what combustion chamber work is done.

·
Registered
634 Posts
like everyone has said it can happen, also like everyone has said just don't hulk those ****ers in or be a vagina when you put them in and you should be fine. I havn't had this issue for about 40K miles

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I have heard it also happens on Romeo motors. If it does happen you don't to buy new heads. You can use a heliocoil to rethread your old one.

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
+1...its been known to happen

·
I Blumpkin Entirely Way Too Much
6,802 Posts
Do the patriot stage 2 heads have more threads? i know that they are based off of the stock heads, just wondering if they would have the same threads?

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Just use a torque wrech when tightening them. I think the torque is like 18 in-lbs. Anyway its not very much an you can easily over tighten them which will wear the minimal threads and eventually cause them to break

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
ya its easy..had two myself. Heliocoil kit has taken care of them. I would like to do that to the remaining 6. But to be on the safe side ever time i change my oil i just pop off the coil packs and put a wrench on each plug to see if they are loose.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Before you get all excited about this issue, I have 130,000 miles on my supercharged motor without a single plug being blown out on my 2000 windsor motor. I hope I haven't jinked myself, but its not as bad as some seem to indicate.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
80k here...

·
Registered
978 Posts
^^ :D now that is hilarious!! i was thinking the same thing!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts