Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is your tensioner arm and tensioner supposed to look like this? lol cause mine did

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Thats defibately not the way it should look man you got some PROBLEMS!!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol yeah, a new tensioner arm and tensioner should solve that

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
yeah i did mine like a month ago and they didn't look like that thats crazy yours look horrible really worn down i suggest replace all timing components while your at it guides, tensioners, tensioner arms, cam gears, and crank gear depending on your engine it might be a two piece mine was a solid single piece also make sure and buy the chains from your ford dealer i have heard really bad things about aftermarket chains bought from auto stores that rivets come apart and cause severe engine damage

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the chains still look perfect. had new cam gears anyway and just getting a new tensioner arm and tensioner. the left side is fine.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
:withhomo. yeah just upgrade everything and while your at it go ahead and get the ARP cam bolts and balancer bolt. I had that go bad on mine

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i reused the stock cam bolts, put new cams in, new gears, new valve springs, new tensioner arm and tensioner, thats about it. nothing else looked worn nor close to it. just that tensioner.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
well i reused the stock cam bolts, put new cams in, new gears, new valve springs, new tensioner arm and tensioner, thats about it. nothing else looked worn nor close to it. just that tensioner.
The chains wont look worn but they are bro they stretch out and sag. Have you ever changed them, if not do it believe me. How many miles does the engine have on it, dont learn the hard way boss it only cost like $80 for the chains plus the stang will run better and last you longer in the long run.I know its your ride im just saying it because we are here to look out for each other and help each other out :D

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i have seen this from a couple windsors and a few people i talk to say the windsors are more notorious for it than romeo's. just replace the full set up and call it good.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
full setup being.. just the tensioner and arm, or chains, gears, etc.?

let me rephrase that
should i just replace the worn tensioner and arm, or should i get new:
chains, tensioner arms for both sides or just the one, new chain guides, new crankshaft gear?

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
full setup being.. just the tensioner and arm, or chains, gears, etc.?

let me rephrase that
should i just replace the worn tensioner and arm, or should i get new:
chains, tensioner arms for both sides or just the one, new chain guides, new crankshaft gear?
get both chains Ford not aftermarket, both tensioner arms, both tensioners, both guides, and the crank gears since you said you already put on the cam gears you dont need those but you need new cam bolts because those are torque to yield and can only be used once then you need to toss them and get new ones also you need a torque wrench that reads in IN-LBS to do this unless you want to deal with converting from FT-LBS

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why new cam bolts? I've never heard from anyone that you can only use them once. This is getting to be very expensive just for a ****ing cam install. I think I'll just replace the tensioner and arm and that's it. Chains sag but that is what a tensioner IS for.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
because they are torque to yield meaning can only be used once then they are no good and need replacement but just use them again if you want, but at least get the rest of the parts and the chains do sag if they are old even with the tensioners but its your car im just saying what good is your nice stang with all those mods in it if down the road the **** breaks down and then you will have to spend even more to fix it when that money can go to getting some more mods or some thing else you would like but to each his own

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
because they are torque to yield meaning can only be used once then they are no good and need replacement but just use them again if you want, but at least get the rest of the parts and the chains do sag if they are old even with the tensioners but its your car im just saying what good is your nice stang with all those mods in it if down the road the **** breaks down and then you will have to spend even more to fix it when that money can go to getting some more mods or some thing else you would like but to each his own
:withhomo. I thought my chains were fine until i put one up against a new one and there was a slight difference in it. the other was good but I went ahead and just replaced everything. The cam and balancer bolts are TTY. Ive seen some people reuse them and nothing wrong and then others reuse them and the cam bolts would snap totally destroying things so i decided why risk it. Its up to you whether you decide to reuse them or not but just be aware of what may or may not happen.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
:withhomo. I thought my chains were fine until i put one up against a new one and there was a slight difference in it. the other was good but I went ahead and just replaced everything. The cam and balancer bolts are TTY. Ive seen some people reuse them and nothing wrong and then others reuse them and the cam bolts would snap totally destroying things so i decided why risk it. Its up to you whether you decide to reuse them or not but just be aware of what may or may not happen.
:shiftyeyes haha

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
why not aftermarket chains? i havent seen any issues yet, mainly seen cloyes used, and that is what i use as well.

why go in and mod a car and not do supporting mods as well? cutting corner will just lead to failure down the road. do something once correctly is cheaper than having to fix something twice that could of been avoided.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Why new cam bolts? I've never heard from anyone that you can only use them once. This is getting to be very expensive just for a ****ing cam install. I think I'll just replace the tensioner and arm and that's it. Chains sag but that is what a tensioner IS for.
What happened to your smart ass comment:
im not a ****ing moron, so stop talking to me like i am one, this car just isnt working properly for me. giving me more pain than it needs to.
I guess TTY bolts have something to do with the car not working for you as well?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What happened to your smart ass comment:

I guess TTY bolts have something to do with the car not working for you as well?
yeah that must be it hey?

i ordered 2 new chains, a new guide for the right side, a new tensioner, and a new tensioner arm.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
thats good bro you wont regret it but why only one guide, one tensioner and one tensioner arm why not both for each im wondering?

oh sweet2kstang the reason behind me saying to use the factory chains is that i have heard the aftermarkets often break on you by loosing a rivet but this of course is what i have heard from others mustang owners and my good friend who is a mechanic so im just taking precaution but who knows i could be wrong

1 - 20 of 30 Posts