Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want my car a bit lower in the front. I ahve H&R SS springs atm, and just just not slammed enough for me. What could I expect, in terms of a lower drop, by just removing the top and bottom ISOs?

I know a lot of suspension threads pop up, so if this has been addressed before, I apologize.

·
Registered
398 Posts
worn factory ones should be about 1/4" i added the rear ones after i cut the springs for a stanced look. it raised it 1/4" then i took them back out cuz i liked the level look better

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Removing the ISOs will drop it a little bit more but I believe you'll also get some metallic squeaking noises. I've heard wrapping the ends of the springs in duct tape reduces/eliminates that though.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Removing the ISOs will drop it a little bit more but I believe you'll also get some metallic squeaking noises. I've heard wrapping the ends of the springs in duct tape reduces/eliminates that though.
I've also heard of using electrical tape or a heater hose

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
a little grease or some electrical tape and you'll never have squeaking issues....do it Zat....if you don't like it you can reverse it :yes

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
a little grease or some electrical tape and you'll never have squeaking issues....do it Zat....if you don't like it you can reverse it :yes
6er did you ever use electrical tape because if you did, how did it hold up? I read some where that the tape will waste away pretty quickly.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
6er did you ever use electrical tape because if you did, how did it hold up? I read some where that the tape will waste away pretty quickly.
i haven't and i thought this too..so i just used some grease...can't remember what kind, but it was just a tube of industrial style grease from an auto parts...

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was suggested to use Kevlar tape.

RAYPLEX - Products

Here is the tape in 3" wide strips:
RAYPLEX 3" KEVLAR TAPE 5 OZ

Its $3/yard. 1 yard would be more than enough to do both springs. Says its 0.100" thick

So I can expect about 1/4" drop if I remove both the top and bottom ISO on the front springs?

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Also rubber tubing works. Cars without the iso' have them stock. My GTI had them. Rubber sleeves that slide on springs. I'd give a suspension company a call like h&r see if they can get them.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I used some 3m rubber electric tape worked like a charm. :yes No noise whatsoever.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Have you ever thought of trying heat shrink tubing on the ends? Maybe it'll hold up longer than tape? :dunno

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got new springs. Would i loose any quality or any thing other than drop if i was to remove my front iso
You will lose a bit of cushioning. The ISOs are there to dampen the bumps and sounds. But, if you add something like what is bein discussed here, then your good to go.

After some thought I think I am going to have 6er cut my old springs for me, and throw them on the car. I am gonna try 1.75 coils on the front and leave my H&R on the back, to see how it looks. I really want a raked and aggressive stance that the H&Rs are not giving me. 1/4" extra on the front is not gonna do that for me.

If all goes well, I may have some front H&R SS springs for sale soon. If the rear is to high with cut stock springs on the front, I will get the backs cut as well and have a whole set of H&R springs for sale.

·
Registered
928 Posts
definatley let me know id be interested

1 - 15 of 15 Posts