Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The infamous P0455 and P0457 + Check Fuel Cap on dash = BIG F'ing Headache.:serious:

Been popping up since summer. I usually clear it and two weeks later it comes back (after I fill car). I know about topping the tank off.

1.Stopped topping off tank
2.Changed Charcoal canister (rear) with used part three times,including hoses and solenoid
3.Purchased new OEM gas cap(cleaned around hole)
4.Cleaned MAF,IAC,EGR is functioning
5.Fuel Filler neck OEM replaced 2 years ago
6.Fuel Filler Grommet to tank OEM replaced

I noticed it does it more when I go on the beltway above 65mph. Plus gas is SHITTY!

I don't know where else to look.:crying: Anyone with any advice because it's driving me nuts. It's the holidays and yeah I have no money,so I can't pay for a smoke test.

Could it be...vapor canister purge valve? I know it's in the wheel well pass. side.

Sorry so long.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I am in the midst of diagnosing still. This will def. help.

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Hope that helps.
That's the same page that a shop would bring up if you brought the car in for this.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I just went ahead and ordered a fuel vapor purge valve canister solenoid. It's in the front passenger wheel well, how about do I go to accessing it? Any tips? What should I look out for? Photos would be great!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Found this on Google. Its the best i could find.

Pull the wheel off along with the fender liner, usually a couple screws and some pushpins. Pushpins are usually a PITA to pull. You should be able to get under them with a putty knife or something, then use needlenose to pull them out. Sometimes they break, they are only plastic. Once you get in there, keep track of or label which vac lines go where. Inspect them as well. A quick check for lines you cannot access easily is to blow thru the lines. If no air passes, the lines are/should be good.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fb93, great photo. Thank you! Looks pretty straight forward,I can do this. I will keep you guys updated in the event that this is in fact the problem. Part comes in tomorrow so hopefully the weather is nice. I'll take photos too.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got to it,so happy. Something I noticed is that the hoses are literally cracking like peelng. All this black stuff comes off in my hand. Is it possible it's the hoses? Anyone know what size they are? The hoses that go into the engine bay. And I got a obd reader,expensive one. Anyways, it's telling me it's either the fuel pressure sensor or purge valve. I'll replace hoses and purge,what do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Bad vacuum lines and hoses can throw codes for the same reason a valve, solenoid, or actuator that regulates vacuum will. If/when the computer doesnt see the proper signal (whatever that may be) from whatever its hooked up to, it throws a code. My guess is those lines were the original issue all along. You can pick up replacements of different sizes at the parts store. Just match the new with the old.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, went to Bob Bell $150.00 for the "harness". I only needed one hose,the one coming off the manifold and down into the wheel well fender then connects to the purge solenoid. I asked the sales guy..on a personal level "can I just use hosing of the same diameter?". He said "yeah! go to Fishers Automotive". So I went and they were nice, they said fuel line would work just as well so I got 3 feet for $3.18. I used it and all is working great. I am happy.

Btw, fuel line ok to use? It seems to be working,I drove several miles and no issues or CEL's.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well..it came back. I was on the beltway going 65. I am dissapointed , what is it?! Should I just take it in for a smoke test? Or just get the next part the OBD tells me which is the fuel tank pressure sensor?

This sucks

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
There is also a gasket on the filler neck that likes to go bad and will exhibit all these problems. Its where the tank joins the filler tank. Had to replace it myself a few times.

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
Ok seriously why do people keep bumping these old posts?

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
Ok, will do. One thing I see in these threads is that they hardly ever give a conclusion or resolution to the problem. That's why I was asking a question here.
If this is your issue the fix is that seal between the tank and the filler neck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts