Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
Yes it's was. In a honestly I wasn't expecting to see anywhere near the number I came up with. What I've spent would have been a healthy down payment on a house.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Used Vortech Supercharger kit. Hands down best upgrade IMO.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If I had any regrets about mods I've done, the CAI would be right up there. It changes the sound the car makes a teensy bit, but adds no more power than a K&N filter could do on its own. Gears and a tune are such a better choice. If it were me, doing mods again for the first time, and my budget was $1000 (figuring you're still doing wheels/tires and exhaust), I'd do gears, tuner, Ford C springs and Maximum Motorsports subframe connectors. The car will be completely transformed.
this right here for sure

·
Corner Carvin
149 Posts
Got the Cobra R Brembos for myself for my birthday last year. God damn are they nice. They **** up the brake balance like crazy, but you have a Cobra, so maybe not so much for you.
That is suprising to hear that. The Cobra R brakes were designed to work with the stock rear brakes. The only difference between the cobra rear brakes and the GT rear brakes is the rotor thickness. Its the same caliper.

·
5,502 Posts
That is suprising to hear that. The Cobra R brakes were designed to work with the stock rear brakes. The only difference between the cobra rear brakes and the GT rear brakes is the rotor thickness. Its the same caliper.
Rotors are 2 inches larger too, which helps.

·
Corner Carvin
149 Posts
Rotors are 2 inches larger too, which helps.
Well call me stupid and color me dumb, I had no idea there was a rotor size difference. Just looked it up and sure enough. I guess that extra braking torque sure helps. HA

Thanks for the schooling compadre. I did an IRS swap in my old GT and just took the rotors and pads from the donor car. I guess It didnt occur to me the bracket allowed for the same caliper to work. I never compared rotor diameter sizes.

·
Carving corners
3,327 Posts
Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of buying non-Ford headlights. Did that on my 98 and I regret it everyday. All the OEM replacement ones are junk.
not true LMR sells DEPO lights have had them in my car for a few years now still look great

top mods gears, tune, FLSFCs and mid pipe, save some money and just get mufflers and tips, after that if you want more power save for a s/c or a 5.0 :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
update:

I made the fatal mistake while mulling over options for the 04.... of test driving a 2016 gt prem.

All planned money for the 04 has now been dumped into the may-july new pony fund.

I suppose when the time comes I'm gonna have to change my username to the orange pony ><

·
5,502 Posts
update:

I made the fatal mistake while mulling over options for the 04.... of test driving a 2016 gt prem.

All planned money for the 04 has now been dumped into the may-july new pony fund.

I suppose when the time comes I'm gonna have to change my username to the orange pony ><
Good call. I'm too far gone at this point for that to be a move I would want to make...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Good call. I'm too far gone at this point for that to be a move I would want to make...
Yeah, the reality is the current 04 is high mileage(ish). Nothing insane but I'm approaching 150k on factory everything. I love it to death but practically, the amount of money I would have to spend to even begin to touch the motor performance of the coyote's(and that 6th gear) isn't as worth it as I had originally thought.

As I'm sure most around here know...more power...more stress...more stress...more breaking.

The body is also in need of love(paint, rust removal). I actually had to patch a body hole near the exhaust in august for inspection and the more I think about it, the more I'm going to need to fix.

Putting options on a scale: in one hand dump 5-10k into a 12 year old 150k mile car, in the other put 5-10k down on a brand new baby ordered to spec

I think the brand new hand officially won.

Planning comp orange w/ performance package. They had one in that orange in the show room and I don't think the sales lady was prepared for my gut response(I probably commented on state of arousal, i don't remember the lights of angels were shining down from the ceiling).

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
On a car with that many miles and needing body work I wouldnt put a dime in it. Its past the point of needing to replace lots of things. Put the money towards a newer one.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of buying non-Ford headlights. Did that on my 98 and I regret it everyday. All the OEM replacement ones are junk.
Agreed.

I ended up keeping my oem and spending a few hours sanding and buffing the hell out of them until new looking

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
On a car with that many miles and needing body work I wouldnt put a dime in it. Its past the point of needing to replace lots of things. Put the money towards a newer one.
It doesn't owe me anything. Bought it 7 years ago with 50-60k on it.

Things I've replaced(non maintenance items):
alternator
front sway bar link(10 bucks)

Runs like a clock, but time(and the northeast winters) have taken their toll on it physically.

That's why I started weighing options and now I'm about 98% sure by may to july I'm gonna drop a big ole chunk of change.

as a sidenote, I found 160-200 dollars a month I didn't realize I was puking up. 2 biggest vices? Monster and dip.

3.50/can of monster and 2/can of dip. 40-50/week. Guess who's gonna be really cranky for the next few days?

This guy.

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
It doesn't owe me anything. Bought it 7 years ago with 50-60k on it.

Things I've replaced(non maintenance items):
alternator
front sway bar link.
Im sure at this point the suspension is shot. Front/rear control arms, bushings, shocks, struts, springs, ball joints, clutch.

I know these cars are reliable. I bought my GT in 2005. Took it from stock to full bolt ons, suspension, built rear, and supercharger. Demodded the entire car a year ago as i bought a Mach. Over 9 years only issues i really needed to address were replacing 2 batteries and a few light bulbs. In the 10th year of owning needed all new front suspension bushings and hardware, wheel bearings, front springs were cracked, clutch is on its way out, got rust on the undercarriage and welded frame connectors. The reason i bought the clean Mach was because the undercarriage on the GT started rusting and i didnt want to keep modding a rusty car. GT only has 71k miles on it but its been beat up daily driving it short distance in the city.

Buy something newer for sure.

·
13,573 Posts
I received my $1600 tax return yesterday, and three minutes later I applied it towards my BMW auto loan :( At least now its down to $6k.
I dont file to the last minute since i always owe thousands.

·
Corner Carvin
149 Posts
I dont file to the last minute since i always owe thousands.
Are you self employed? Personally I dont understand how the hell the government gets away with charging people after they are already taxed, if they have a standard job. It makes me sick to hear what some of my friends have to pay. If your not self employed make sure you claim single and zero on your w-4. That should mitigate most risk of having to pay anything. I claim single/zero on my w-4, as well as my wife and we always get back 5k+. Now that we have a little girl the amount rose another couple grand.

Back to the thread topic.... brakes.... brembo....mmmmmmmmmmm

·
5,502 Posts
21 - 37 of 37 Posts