Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of going with a poly/del-sphere LCA. like either the edelbrocks or sphon. basically I am looking for a marrage of launching, cornering, and streetability. however I was ebay surfing and came across these

PERF. LOWER CONTROL ARMS 2005-2010 MUSTANG GT V6 GT500:eBay Motors (item 380182546715 end time Dec-04-09 23:48:32 PST)

they are saying someting about thier 3piece bushing. a ball sanwiched between 2 bushings kinda like a del-sphere, but would be cheaper to produce and possibly more comfortable for a daily driver.

anyone have any experience with these?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've got the non adj. Lowers, and the Adj. Upper. No issues and there is no binding on them as the three piece design does what it is intended to do. I've had "0" issues with them.

Here is a link to there web sitre, check em out ! AM also carry's their full line of stuff.

HotPart Suspension Products

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about them and the 3-piece bushing design makes a lot of sense to me. I can undersatand how that works but I wonder if it will ever be a weak link. Meaning, generally one piece is stronger than 3 pieces. But I haven't heard of any failures so they must be OK.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
You have to understand the idea behind the 3 piece design. The center spherical section of the bushing is the part that does all the work. The 2 outer parts have nothing to do with carrying any load. The center piece is as strong as any out there. The 2 outer pieces act as a seal (for grease) and also as a sound/vibration dampener. It's a sandwich design...the meat's in the middle.The outer pieces seal the grease in so well that the J&M control arms are no longer shipped with grease fittings. They are the only ones for my car. I had installed a set on a guy's car early last year and was very impressed with the design so I bought a set of lowers, adjustable upper, and a panhard bar. I hear absolutely no noise and the burnouts are a as smooth as they can get.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I like the concept, but what's the advantage of their 3-piece bushing over a traditional spherical joint? NVH?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the concept, but what's the advantage of their 3-piece bushing over a traditional spherical joint? NVH?

the major advantages I am looking for are NVH without having the bind issuies of regular poly bushings.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
You have to understand the idea behind the 3 piece design. The center spherical section of the bushing is the part that does all the work. The 2 outer parts have nothing to do with carrying any load. The center piece is as strong as any out there. The 2 outer pieces act as a seal (for grease) and also as a sound/vibration dampener. It's a sandwich design...the meat's in the middle.The outer pieces seal the grease in so well that the J&M control arms are no longer shipped with grease fittings. They are the only ones for my car. I had installed a set on a guy's car early last year and was very impressed with the design so I bought a set of lowers, adjustable upper, and a panhard bar. I hear absolutely no noise and the burnouts are a as smooth as they can get.

I understand how it works I just think the end pieces take more stress than you think. Any time there is any kind of twisting applied to the bushing the ends have to take up some of the stress. Where this design is advantageous is that instead of the two ends of a one piece design twisting and binding, it allows movement withought stressing the single piece. You know on that note, I can understand how they wouldn't have to be as strong as a single piece. What a brilliant design.

And yes Reverand, less NVH.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have the lowers on my car and love them. I cant tell you they are better or worse than others because they are the only one i have had but they Work great without any issues so far.:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
The LCAs are sweet. No noise at all. The J&M UCA is quiet too, but it has limited adjustability. Their rep told me it has 1/4 inch each way. This wasn't enough for me, and I couldn't get a spec pinion angle after I installed a 1 piece DS. The BMR UCA has much more ajustability.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tks for bringing that up

I was starting to think of getting thier upper. I plan on eventually droping 1.5 in the rear and getting a 1pc DS so I am gonna need the adjustability

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
07Boss, I see what you are saying. I would think that as long as the outer pieces are at least as good as OEM they should last a while, but OEM lasts a lot longer than most people think. I can't tell you how many aftermarket billet parts and so called precision made high quality **** I've seen fail in no time flat. The OEM rubber that's in stock bushings does last a damn long time. I do know that the J&M outer bushings are not made of the same material as OEM from what I remember. It's more like a softer poly like material rather than the OEM rubber.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Don't forget to check out umi. They are having a big sale ends monday I think.
They have a delrin sphere type joint called roto joint or something. Worth looking at IMO.;)

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
The LCAs are sweet. No noise at all. The J&M UCA is quiet too, but it has limited adjustability. Their rep told me it has 1/4 inch each way. This wasn't enough for me, and I couldn't get a spec pinion angle after I installed a 1 piece DS. The BMR UCA has much more ajustability.
Could J&M LCA's and an adj. BMR UCA work together?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Could J&M LCA's and an adj. BMR UCA work together?
Well in theory they should work fine together. But if I may point something out. I would rather have that 3-piece bushing setup in the UCA over the LCA's. Think about it, that UCA mounted in the middle of you rear suspension is going to see that lateral twisting stress that it is designed to handle better. Anytime your suspension moves on one side farther than the other you will get that twisting motion in the center of your suspension. Your LCA's will never see that kind of twisting motion.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Well in theory they should work fine together. But if I may point something out. I would rather have that 3-piece bushing setup in the UCA over the LCA's. Think about it, that UCA mounted in the middle of you rear suspension is going to see that lateral twisting stress that it is designed to handle better. Anytime your suspension moves on one side farther than the other you will get that twisting motion in the center of your suspension. Your LCA's will never see that kind of twisting motion.
Good point, but I plan on a lowering and an aluminum DS, so it sounds like I will need more adjusting than the J&M adj UCA can provide.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Good point, but I plan on a lowering and an aluminum DS, so it sounds like I will need more adjusting than the J&M adj UCA can provide.
True, that might end up being the case.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
like I was saying before there is also spohn for the upper. it has that del-sphere thing. probobly not as smooth as the 3bushing setup. I'm sure I'll find out once everything is in

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
i dont know if i would go with these.............

one of the guys that I hang out with did this to his
He was cutting 1.6 60's and this happened......he was on DR's though

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
i dont know if i would go with these.............

one of the guys that I hang out with did this to his
He was cutting 1.6 60's and this happened......he was on DR's though

What brand is that?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts