Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday
6,530 Posts
I found this while I was trolling the interwebs. Yeah this artical sums it up. Ford better get there heads out there ass.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
See what happens when you try and ship your mfg overseas...Look at the **** that is produced. Ford better step up on this one.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
It is a little unsettling, especially having experienced this already.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Man, I would be irate with BS like this. Ford should step up and change who they get their manuals from. Anything from China is crap and poorly made.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The one good thing I can say is its a widespread problem thats being documented and publicized. Thats why I wasn't worried to much with the 2012 mt82. At the very least there should be a good number of aftermarket fixes even if it's a replacement kit. Seems a lot of people are seeing results with the brace and aftermarket shifters.

·
Registered
195 Posts
To my knowledge this is the first getrag in a mustang whereas GM has used them for years. I've been driving a car with a getrag in it for 10+ years...the clunky shifts are nothing new. Shitty syncros is also not a new thing for getrag. I'm not saying these things are acceptable. I've yet to have any issues with my Mustang, but have had every issue described in my 3 previous cars with the same trans manufacturer. Everytime I had an issue though...it was colder than 40 degrees outside, I did have slightly notchy shifts but it's a getrag...that is normal. Now that the temp has come up, it seems like the problems are gone.

·
Registered
105 Posts
As most of us follow the transmission issue on various forums, what bothers me is the article states "15" owners have reported to NHTSA. Folks EVERYONE who is having an issue no matter how big or small needs to file a complaint to NHTSA. I don't know the truth to it, so don't hold me to it, but until complaints reach a magic number a recall will not take place. It's the number of manual mustang owners to mustang owners with issues ratio that they look at. ~15 complaints with ~22,000 manual owners is not enough to be considered a "widespread" problem.

If you’re having shifting/clutch issues, please take a few minutes and file a complaint on the NHTSA website. It's free and with bumping up the number of complaints and expected more articles to be released, it can only assist the push for a recall to a permanent fix. Also please pass the word to all the forums you visit.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

·
Registered
119 Posts
As most of us follow the transmission issue on various forums, what bothers me is the article states "15" owners have reported to NHTSA. Folks EVERYONE who is having an issue no matter how big or small needs to file a complaint to NHTSA. I don't know the truth to it, so don't hold me to it, but until complaints reach a magic number a recall will not take place. It's the number of manual mustang owners to mustang owners with issues ratio that they look at. ~15 complaints with ~22,000 manual owners is not enough to be considered a "widespread" problem.

If you’re having shifting/clutch issues, please take a few minutes and file a complaint on the NHTSA website. It's free and with bumping up the number of complaints and expected more articles to be released, it can only assist the push for a recall to a permanent fix. Also please pass the word to all the forums you visit.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Thats because the problem isn't nearly as widespread as people think. I have a 2012 on order, so have been following all the warranty/problem threads on 3 or 4 forums. They are all filled with the same 15-25 people saying "omg the mustang is garbage, this transmission is terrible and Ford isn't doing anything."

It isn't ford that's not doing anything, they have come out with multiple 1 step solutions for various problems. They fixed the flywheel bolts that were backing out, then they had the fix for cold weather rough shifting. And I swear I saw people that refused to get the fluid changed cause they don't think it will do anything. Try putting oil that is too thick into your engine and see how long it takes for things to get f*cked up. Either way I doubt there are even 500 people with this problem and that's like 2%... NOT a widespread issue.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Thats because the problem isn't nearly as widespread as people think. I have a 2012 on order, so have been following all the warranty/problem threads on 3 or 4 forums. They are all filled with the same 15-25 people saying "omg the mustang is garbage, this transmission is terrible and Ford isn't doing anything."

It isn't ford that's not doing anything, they have come out with multiple 1 step solutions for various problems. They fixed the flywheel bolts that were backing out, then they had the fix for cold weather rough shifting. And I swear I saw people that refused to get the fluid changed cause they don't think it will do anything. Try putting oil that is too thick into your engine and see how long it takes for things to get f*cked up. Either way I doubt there are even 500 people with this problem and that's like 2%... NOT a widespread issue.
Yeah? Because the fluid DOESN'T do ****. I'll tell you coming from someone who is having the problems and has had the fluid put into my car. The transmission is junk.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah? Because the fluid DOESN'T do ****. I'll tell you coming from someone who is having the problems and has had the fluid put into my car. The transmission is junk.
Others have had the fluid changed and said it felt like a brand new transmission, so just because it didn't fix the problem you are having it has fixed problems with others. People are having different problems and therefore there will be different solutions for those problems. It's really not all that hard to figure out. Another thing hurting you that I've noticed from other posts is that you dealer is garbage, and there seems to be quite a few like that around.

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
i wouldn't say the fluid doesn't do ****. i bought my cousin's car for $150 because it "needed a new transmission". it wouldn't change gears at all. i brought it home, realized it had the wrong kind of fluid in it, so i filled it with the correct kind and it shifted like a brand new car.

....then i sold it for $1,100 lol

·
Registered
105 Posts

I'm not here to argue; however, I do disagree with you. Like you I'm following this on a few different forums and I do agree with you that it seems like the same 15 - 25 people posting issues, but with thousands of posts on this topic across various forums, at this point what else is to be said? Outside of a transmission falling out under power, I think any and every possible issue has happened and/or been mentioned over and over... I belong to a few forums that I have yet to write and/or respond to a single post because it's already been said one too many times. I'm in my forties and not one to say "me too" and "me too." I read the posted topic from the beginning and if I have something to add that has not been mentioned multiple times, I speak up. I would like to think there are many others out there that think the same way.

Ford has recognized this as being a widespread issue and covers owners from across the country otherwise they would not have issued the TSB for the fluid change that is "the fix." Another thing to consider are all the people that say nothing and could care less about chatting about their problems or even those that don't spend hours of their day searching and reading forums; they depend on their Ford dealership to take care of them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Exactly! Zinc I have read all your issues and the fluid change that is "the fix" is Ford's way of recognizing a problem and if that does not work the customer is to return over and over. Sure the fluid is the fix for some, but this transmission has multiple issues and it's just a matter of who get's what issue.

Let’s see, fluid changes, bleeding the clutch, faulty slave cylinders, pressure plate bolts that back out, failed clutches, chewed up gears, syncro’s that fail, leaking seals, computer skip shift issues and now adding bushings to the shift linkage for proper alignment. I think this just lightly touches the issues; Ford only recognizes the cheapest solutions and depending on how good the dealership is depends to what extent your car is repaired.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
i wouldn't say the fluid doesn't do ****. i bought my cousin's car for $150 because it "needed a new transmission". it wouldn't change gears at all. i brought it home, realized it had the wrong kind of fluid in it, so i filled it with the correct kind and it shifted like a brand new car.

....then i sold it for $1,100 lol
Right, but were talking about a car that I paid $35k for that should come with the correct god damn fluid. Why in the absolute **** should I need to change to a thinner fluid in southern Alabama where it's lucky to get into the 20s/teens during the 'winter'? It's a slap in my face and it's about to be a slap in my lawyers face.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Right, but were talking about a car that I paid $35k for that should come with the correct god damn fluid. Why in the absolute **** should I need to change to a thinner fluid in southern Alabama where it's lucky to get into the 20s/teens during the 'winter'? It's a slap in my face and it's about to be a slap in my lawyers face.
So then lemon law it and get over it? You are starting to sound like the OP who should have honestly lemon law'd his car months ago instead of continuing to deal with this. But he claims that would just be doing what Ford wants.... not sure how that even makes sense. You had a bunch of problems with your DEALER before you even got FCS involved and seem to be laying the blame on Ford what what the dealer did. It is a mass produced performance car, as with any other mass produced item there are some that have defects. At this point looks like you might have gotten one of them. Sucks to be you, but the major point here is that you are still part of a minority of 2011 owners with this issue.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've had second gear random-grind on me 3 times now (out of thousands on thousands of shifts), but no catastrophic events.

I understand your guys' anger, but I am seeing this situation in the same light as FCMalie...
Although most of the Lemon Laws vary from state to state, each individual law usually require a warrantor to cure a specific defect within four to five attempts or the automobile as a whole within thirty days. If the warrantor fails to meet this obligation, most of the lemon laws provide for a full refund or new replacement vehicle.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts