Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey everyone its been a while ha, well here's the thing I had to get rid of my old exhaust system I mean everything, I know what I want for my next setup but what I want to know is if ANYone on here has experience or is currently running with JBA shortie cat4ward headers?? I know longtubes are better etc, but I have my heart set on these , any input is greatly appreciated thanks again!

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
They were like 80 bucks off last month on American muscle I believe.. If you want em, then get em.. But everyone will say get longtubes

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
He doesnt care about that I don't think... I think they look good but in our engine bays you can't really see them unless you wire tucked and such.

·
Registered
396 Posts
ya thats true but to the people that notice them actualy count and know somthing about and appriciate cars..not just random tree hugers

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
Lol my buddy with a SS Camaro is actually impressed with my sixxer.. But I didn't buy mods to just clean up the engine bay either.. Strictly performance

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
i bought my shorties because i needed a quick fix and didnt have the time to mod my exhaust to fit longtubes. i wish i would have went longtubes to begin with

·
Registered
200 Posts
I picked the JBA headers because long tubes are not legal here in California. I see so many post that they are a waste of money. But how many have actually seen them in person?

Are they a waste of money?

It is true that only long tube headers can be tuned to improve scavenging. This is similar to how intake runner length interacts with rpm. If the runner is too short then it won't be of benefit until well past red line. Shorty headers are too short to provide the benefits of tuned runner length.

However . . .

The JBA headers are made with greater precision than the stock manifods. One major difference is the way the flanges are attached to the pipes. On the JBA this is rounded to form an ideal orifice (just think of a trumpet and you're pretty close to an ideal orifice shape). On my stock manifolds this junction is not clean at all, much like a step. Do not underestimate this. given the same pressure differential, an ideal orifice flows 44% more air than a blind hole of the same diameter.

There have been dyno results suggesting the JBA headers do offer a modest benefit out there, especially with forced induction. This seems more than reasonable given the huge difference in attention to detail that goes into making them.

Warning about JBA headers: The dipstick has to be installed just right. I paid to have mine installed and they were a bit too creative. Without a head sheild around the dipstick it will contact the header and burn the oil residue inside. It doesn't consume much oil but it makes the car smell like an old toyota camry. Their gaskets are crap too. Save yourself some hassle and buy Remflex gaskets as part of the install. They are amazing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts