Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i picked up a brand new jlt for 150 shipped last week and finally got around to installing it today. its a decent product but a couple things i didnt like about it, the heat sheild is a little flimsy, and it uses a different hose for the pvc, which ends up sitting right next to the radiator hose, but other than that its ok. The install was STUPID easy. It took more time to go to my dads house and steal his tools, than it did to install the intake. i'm definatly going to need a custom tune. i was running the canned 87 diablo tune with the stock intake before, and I didnt see a huge gain with the canned JLT tune. it definatly revs a little smoother, and pulls a little harder in the upper rpms. i wish i could hear what it sounds like, but i cant hear much over my exhaust. There are a couple dyno shops in my town, and i'm trying to decide if i want to take it to the dyno or try to find an email tune from vmp or something. I think there is a good bit of power left on the table with the canned JLT tune.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure i would pay the big dollars for just a cai dyno tune.
thats what i was thinking as well. i think email tunes run about 50 bucks, so ill probably do that. It wouldve been a lot easier if I bought a intake/tuner combo. I tried to be a cheapskate and get a used tuner and an intake out of the classifieds. the intake and tuner out of the classifieds ended up costing me about 350 total, so after the email tune it'll have me in the neighborhood of 400 bucks. i think the jlt/sct package is about 500 on AM, and you get the sct instead of the old ass diablo. one thing ive noticed about these cars....buy nice or buy twice.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah chef, I like to save money also, but I went ahead and bought the tuner from AM just so I could get free tunes for the small upgrades that I do, instead of leaving all the parts in the garage and putting them on all at one time.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
thought i saw where chris at AM said if you bought the 3 tune files you would be eligible for the free tunes after. you'd have to contact him to verify though

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
only problem is, i have the diablo. i think they only do tuning with sct

·
Registered
134 Posts
thought i saw where chris at AM said if you bought the 3 tune files you would be eligible for the free tunes after. you'd have to contact him to verify though

If that's correct, I am going to kick myself in the ass as I could have saved money, and a lot know on here know, I like to keep my money where it belongs, in my bank account. Also, if that's the case Chef, I saw a sct3 for sale on one of the forums for $175. I will pm you if I can find it again bro.

Bob is correct:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-custom-tune.html

$150 for three tunes and then you get free tunes for life, just have to get a used tuner for the right price and you are set.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
yeah email tune, have to do that here in Europe... cant wait for stateside and everything will be easier!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'd be careful buying a used tuner. If you can, contact the seller and make sure it's unlocked. It's not the end of the world if it's not, but IIRC if you get a tuner that's locked, you'll have to contact SCT and pay them to unlock it.

By locked - I mean whoever had the tuner mated it to their car, and loaded a custom tune. The moment you do that, it locks the handheld.
The only way to "unlock" it is if the owner loaded the stock tune back into their car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts