Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed a JLT (Passenger side) Oil Catch Can one month ago. Why have I never mentioned it? Not worth mentioning, imo. As per the description on JLT's site, I only ever planned on checking it's fill with every oil change. But I was making measurements in the engine bay and thought what the hell, and took a look.

Here's what I found.

It's definitely oil...

And there's plenty of it. Paper towel used because it's a readily identifiable reference for volume. That's the tip of my fingers pinching the end of it, and there's still a bit left in the can.

Glad I got the oil catch. Not very comfortable with the amount of oil my engine is regurgitating. I honestly do not spend that much time on WOT, I don't race the thing like the world's going to end tomorrow. Is this ... normal? Notably, I spent the past two weeks out of town, so this is roughly just over two weeks of daily driver, to-and-from-work use.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
So let me get this straight...that is how much oil my car is not using and throwing into my engine?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Ah I am tired of spending money!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, it's just the oil from one of two sides.

:\

JLT said the passenger side uses more. This much though... isn't that a bit ridiculous?

·
Registered
109 Posts
thats why i have mine on order. everyone said i didnt need one

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
So, pros and cons to this mod please.

·
Registered
109 Posts
pros. 1min install, looks factory, and keeps oil out of the intake
cons none

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
So, pros and cons to this mod please.
Pros: Engines ingesting oil vapor through the air intake, will cause a film to be applied to the inside of the air intake system....then slowly and surely cause build-up. But, even worse....oil getting into the combustion chambers has a negative affect on octane rating. Consumption of oil leads to lower effective octane rating....so your 93 octane may only be "truly" 90...etc.

Cons: One really. This mod is something you need to "maintenance"....basically check it often, and empty the oil.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Pros: Engines ingesting oil vapor through the air intake, will cause a film to be applied to the inside of the air intake system....then slowly and surely cause build-up. But, even worse....oil getting into the combustion chambers has a negative affect on octane rating. Consumption of oil leads to lower effective octane rating....so your 93 octane may only be "truly" 90...etc.

Cons: One really. This mod is something you need to "maintenance"....basically check it often, and empty the oil.
So, our cars is basically spitting out unused oil. Meaning i should constantily be checking the oil level to ensure the prop amount of oil, with or without this oil catch.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Actually, the oil is used, that's how it gets up there. :D

Answers.com - What is an oil catch can

I'm not looking to incite a riot, but I think between the passenger PCV, DIRECT ACTING MECHANIC BUCKETS, and my piston rings, there's something going on. And I'm not sure if I hope that it's normal with all the new 3.7L V6 Mustangs, or just a problem with my 3.7L V6 Mustang. Then again, I was thinking of swapping in forged pistons down the road... Guess this could be Ford's method of encouragement?

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/270494-jlt-oil-catch-can-w-pics.html

This post is the reason why I put one on order. Waited a month for it to be made, too. Sent a message to Ford, just 'cause I can, doubt anything will come of it.

Edited to remove embedded video...

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Actually, the oil is used, that's how it gets up there. :D

Answers.com - What is an oil catch can

I'm not looking to incite a riot, but I think between the passenger PCV, DAMBs and my piston rings, there's something going on. And I'm not sure if I hope that it's normal with all the new 3.7L V6 Mustangs, or just a problem with my 3.7L V6 Mustang. Then again, I was thinking of swapping in forged pistons down the road... Guess this could be Ford's method of encouragement?

JLT Oil Catch Can (w/ pics) - Ford Mustang Forums

This post is the reason why I put one on order. Waited a month for it to be made, too. Sent a message to Ford, just 'cause I can, doubt anything will come of it.
Ours already have forged cranks, rods, and a few other small things, so unless you are going with a crazy high amount of boost, i doubt youll need the forged pistons.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Depends on if 14-18lbs of boost strikes you as crazy high.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Yea, 14-18 stirkes me a bit crazy. If you looking for 18, i would rebuild the enitre bottom end.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Was going to go pistons and rods, and see what I get while tuning from the ground up. 18 isn't my peak -ideal-, merely what I'd be comfortable going up to if I can get away with it. ;]

Also, it depends on what sort of performance I get while getting up to 14lbs. If I get somewhere and like what I see, I'll stick with it.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Was going to go pistons and rods, and see what I get while tuning from the ground up. 18 isn't my peak -ideal-, merely what I'd be comfortable going up to if I can get away with it. ;]

Also, it depends on what sort of performance I get while getting up to 14lbs. If I get somewhere and like what I see, I'll stick with it.
Honestly, i think our engines can handle 12lbs, just like the ecoboost in the trucks. May not acheive the same power ranges do to the lack of DI, but will still be impressive none the less. I would just like to swap my engine for a ecoboost out of a wrecked 150.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honestly, i think our engines can handle 12lbs, just like the ecoboost in the trucks. May not acheive the same power ranges do to the lack of DI, but will still be impressive none the less. I would just like to swap my engine for a ecoboost out of a wrecked 150.
You and me both. Then again, the kind of wreck that'd take an F-150 out of commission, might be asking for more trouble than it's worth.

And while our engines might be able to withstand 12lbs of boost, but I'm not going to be the guy to test that supposition. Besides, piston swap is worth at least 5 rep points, yo.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
You and me both. Then again, the kind of wreck that'd take an F-150 out of commission, might be asking for more trouble than it's worth.

And while our engines might be able to withstand 12lbs of boost, but I'm not going to be the guy to test that supposition. Besides, piston swap is worth at least 5 rep points, yo.
In a perfect world, a semi truck would hit a 150 in the bed, cut it in half(hurt no one) then end up in my local junk yard lol.

If you can find a set of forged pistions id rep you!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts