Modded Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 170 Posts

·
7.62x39 CO2 Cannon
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Any reason you went with TSP rockers instead of just doing the trunnion upgrade on the stockers? I've heard of the stock trunnions puking needle bearings but the BTR/Comp upgrade seems to do the trick, and it's cheap.
These are a bit better than upgraded stock rockers.

They're stronger, roller tip, don't prematurely wear out, etc.

Check this whole thread out:

CompCams https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1819234-straub-bushing-trunion-kits-17.html

BTR https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1819234-straub-bushing-trunion-kits-19.html#post19280493

@Sixpointslow

·
Pawsitively sexy
10,564 Posts
Gonna have to say, after spending a lot of time reading that thread, I'll continue to run my BTR trunion rockers. Two years and never have I had any metal shavings in the oil nor any noticeable wear to the trunions. If Jontall is the blue GTO driving, douchey New Yorker I met at an LS1tech meet in OCMD like I suspect, I have my doubts on his input. He paid another guy to do his trunion install according to a post on ls1gto, so it's hard to consider his opinion not even knowing how they were installed. I did mine with a harbor freight special press and some Brotella T6 oil as lube.

I've never heard of experiences with the TSP rockers, only to stay away from the YT's.

·
7.62x39 CO2 Cannon
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Gonna have to say, after spending a lot of time reading that thread, I'll continue to run my BTR trunion rockers. Two years and never have I had any metal shavings in the oil nor any noticeable wear to the trunions. If Jontall is the blue GTO driving, douchey New Yorker I met at an LS1tech meet in OCMD like I suspect, I have my doubts on his input. He paid another guy to do his trunion install according to a post on ls1gto, so it's hard to consider his opinion not even knowing how they were installed. I did mine with a harbor freight special press and some Brotella T6 oil as lube.

I've never heard of experiences with the TSP rockers, only to stay away from the YT's.
Thing about these rockers is you have to take them apart to see the early signs of wear. Pop one off, take it apart an check it out to be sure.

Seeing those failures, I'd check mine about every 10k-15k miles.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If you wanna make that L99 really run do a vvt cam , drag pack and stall atleast a 3600 or higher. Those big girls need some help off the line.

·
7.62x39 CO2 Cannon
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

·
7.62x39 CO2 Cannon
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Figured I’d post the parts pr0n...

On road race cats and off road pipes for race day:

DSX Flex Fuel kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Holy **** did you get all those parts in one shipment? Early Christmas. I miss the good ol' days of having disposable income and getting large car parts shipments.

·
7.62x39 CO2 Cannon
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Holy **** did you get all those parts in one shipment? Early Christmas. I miss the good ol' days of having disposable income and getting large car parts shipments.
Not all in one.

Bought Kooks headers first. Took forever for the shop to get the Kooks stuff to my door.
Got The rest of the Kooks 3in exhaust with race cats next.
Then got the o/r catless Kooks race pipes.
DSX Flex Fuel sensor after all that.
Then the TSP rockers, cam and DOD delete kit.

So 5 shipments.

Disposable income?

Well, I worked 189.4 hours over time one month and then rolled in to another month with over 150 hours OT.

OT is how underpaid folks have nice things. :yes

·
7.62x39 CO2 Cannon
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
gross:grin2:
Our pay schedule is on a 28 day cycle, not a full month.

I worked 12.3 hours a day plus some 16's.

I worked 67 days in a row before I took a day off. :yes

I love OT because it makes it easy to buy car parts. :grin2:

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Our pay schedule is on a 28 day cycle, not a full month.

I worked 12.3 hours a day plus some 16's.

I worked 67 days in a row before I took a day off. :yes

I love OT because it makes it easy to buy car parts. :grin2:
Yeah, I use to do 20 hours of overtime at my first job out of college because getting an extra 5 hours in a week wasn't difficult and because they paid overtime and it was better than the "bonus" they would give us the year before.

Unfortunately, now I value my personal time way too much to work over 40 hours a week and I don't get paid for more than 40 hours a week anyway so, meh!

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
Yeah, I use to do 20 hours of overtime at my first job out of college because getting an extra 5 hours in a week wasn't difficult and because they paid overtime and it was better than the "bonus" they would give us the year before.

Unfortunately, now I value my personal time way too much to work over 40 hours a week and I don't get paid for more than 40 hours a week anyway so, meh!
Lol that's how I was with my first "serious" job.

"can I get a raise?"

"company hasn't made a profit in 3 years, no one is getting raises"

So I would grab an extra 2-3 hours per week. It wasn't enough to get caught but it was worth an extra $1500 per year to a kid who was barely scraping by with his mortgage.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Lol that's how I was with my first "serious" job.

"can I get a raise?"

"company hasn't made a profit in 3 years, no one is getting raises"

So I would grab an extra 2-3 hours per week. It wasn't enough to get caught but it was worth an extra $1500 per year to a kid who was barely scraping by with his mortgage.
Yeah - when you're fresh into the "real" work force and in a new city with not many friends, it's easy to work extra for a little dough. But eventually, the money just becomes not worth it. That's why I've had four jobs in 6 years! Raises are way better when you leave a company for a new one! That's not really why - I got laid off from my second job after a year and a half due to the oil industry going to the shitter and my last job had a ****ing awful manager so I gtfo of there and now work at more or less my dream job for a salary that doesn't require me to need extra money with an environment that supports a true work/life balance.

All I know is that when I'm lying on my death bed after suffering multiple heart attacks, I'm not going to look back and say "man, I really wish I WORKED MORE HOURS!"

EDIT: By the way, I'm not saying people shouldn't work overtime - especially when you're doing it specifically to get extra money to be able to do the things you want. I just don't personally think, for me, overtime is worth it - and especially when overtime is forced or when there's a mindset of "you're not a good worker if you're only working 40 hours a week". If I still had a project car and got paid for working extra hours, you can bet I'd be doing it every once in a while to get dat extra $$$ for car parts.

·
7.62x39 CO2 Cannon
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
@Sixpointslow

Trick Flow Gen X 255's or just settle for GMPP CNC'd LS3 heads because they're dirt cheap?

Not sure of the fwhp and tq gains on each of these. Common sense tells me the TF's make the most. But I'd like to see a dyno comparison between stock, and the two aforementioned heads. YouTube has been no help on that one.

·
Pawsitively sexy
10,564 Posts
@Sixpointslow

Trick Flow Gen X 255's or just settle for GMPP CNC'd LS3 heads because they're dirt cheap?

Not sure of the fwhp and tq gains on each of these. Common sense tells me the TF's make the most. But I'd like to see a dyno comparison between stock, and the two aforementioned heads. YouTube has been no help on that one.
If I was going to stay with stock castings, I'd send them off the Advanced Induction. They do the best work with stock heads. Plenty of cars making over 500whp with their 270-275cc heads. That said, the Trick Flow's are definitely going to be better than any stock casting CNC job. They flow just as well through smaller ports (better velocity) and they adjusted the valve angle vs oem 821 heads to allow more PTV clearance.

·
7.62x39 CO2 Cannon
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
If I was going to stay with stock castings, I'd send them off the Advanced Induction. They do the best work with stock heads. Plenty of cars making over 500whp with their 270-275cc heads. That said, the Trick Flow's are definitely going to be better than any stock casting CNC job. They flow just as well through smaller ports (better velocity) and they adjusted the valve angle vs oem 821 heads to allow more PTV clearance.
I dig more whp. Guess I'll do the Trick Flow's. :yes

·
7.62x39 CO2 Cannon
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Holy crap Summit Racing is fast!

Ordered heads yesterday and says they'll be delivered today!

And that was with free shipping!

·
7.62x39 CO2 Cannon
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Heads came next day!

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

Sat rockers on for the heck of it....

61 - 80 of 170 Posts