Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what a junkyard would normally charge if I pulled a pair of cylinder heads from a 99-04 GT? Also anyone know why junkyards don't just let you just buy their cars from them?

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Anyone know what a junkyard would normally charge if I pulled a pair of cylinder heads from a 99-04 GT? Also anyone know why junkyards don't just let you just buy their cars from them?
Most of the cars in a yard have the title revoked because they are "wrecked".

Most of the times, I see PI heads between $200 to $300 each, depending on the yard, what car they're off of, etc.

·
I like boobs!!!
3,869 Posts
You can get an entire longblock for $150-$350 around here.
^^^This. And why are you looking specifically for heads from a Mustang?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Going rate around here is going to be $50-150 for cylinder heads.

^^^This. And why are you looking specifically for heads from a Mustang?
Also another good point. When I was planning on putting together a franken-fourvalve I was looking for a set of 4V heads. I want to say it was car part or some company like that, that quoted me $400 for Cobra heads. Continental heads? $150 or $200, even though it's the same thing. The "Mustang" and "Cobra" names carry a premium, even if it's the exact same part number.

·
I like boobs!!!
3,869 Posts
Going rate around here is going to be $50-150 for cylinder heads.

Also another good point. When I was planning on putting together a franken-fourvalve I was looking for a set of 4V heads. I want to say it was car part or some company like that, that quoted me $400 for Cobra heads. Continental heads? $150 or $200, even though it's the same thing. The "Mustang" and "Cobra" names carry a premium, even if it's the exact same part number.
All my 4V heads came off of Aviators. Salvage yard here didn't even know they had an Aviator, no less know what it was, or had for an engine. Not a single difference between Aviator heads and cams vs. Cobra heads and cams, except for maybe the price tag.

·
Registered
511 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't say I knew what an aviator was either hah. So what else am I looking for thats got my 99-04 GT PI heads in it? Crown Vics? Explorers? etc.

·
I like boobs!!!
3,869 Posts
Can't say I knew what an aviator was either hah. So what else am I looking for thats got my 99-04 GT PI heads in it? Crown Vics? Explorers? etc.
Anything with a 99-04 2V mod motor. The Aviator is the Lincoln version of the explorer. It had the WAP block and 4V heads. The 5.4 Navigator had 4V heads too, but the intake runners are larger so they're less desirable.

Just curious, why are you looking for just heads? Are you building an engine or fixing something broken?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm doing the PI swap on my 98 and I've already bought a pair of cams and manifolds off a guy that only had 40,000 miles on them, but just need the cylinder heads to complete the build.

·
I like boobs!!!
3,869 Posts
I'm doing the PI swap on my 98 and I've already bought a pair of cams and manifolds off a guy that only had 40,000 miles on them, but just need the cylinder heads to complete the build.
Ok, well that makes sense then. Yeah, any 2V 4.6 or 5.4 after 99 will be PI heads. Only real difference is the different casting, Romeo or Windsor. You'll need the right valve covers for whatever you get. The Romeos were used in cars and the Windsors were for trucks and the 2000 mustang because of a fire at the Romeo plant. I'm pretty sure as far as flow is concerned they are the exact same.

I personally prefer the Windsors because the Romeo have girdles on the cam caps that can get in the way and make removing the valves a bit tricky. The girdles are not needed, it's just how they were cast. Windsor heads omit the girdled.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so your saying I can actually use the romeos or windsors? I just have to make sure I get the right covers for the right set.

·
I like boobs!!!
3,869 Posts
Okay so your saying I can actually use the romeos or windsors? I just have to make sure I get the right covers for the right set.
Correct. One has 13 bolts per valve cover and the other has 11. Lots. I believe it's the Romeos that have 13.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did the romeos and windsors use different cam profiles or do the cams work for both?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay so it doens't matter what type of cylinder head the cams came out of because they'll fit in both, I just need to make sure I have the right gears for the cylinder head set? How much will a good set of new gears, springs and valves run me? Also thank you for all the replies guys I appreciate it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts