Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok soo i have a 347 stoker in my garauge carburated ofcourse my question is, how can i get to start it on the stand?..I have the fuel pump and fuel cell all set up. soo that part of it is good to go. i also ihave the msd 7al2 box and pro power coil so ignition is takin care of, my only thing is how to get poer to the starter i have an old type starter that just takes a hot wire and nothing else, and i have an old type cylinoid, how do i have to wire the cylinoid? i know a hot wire goes on the right side and a wire goes from the left side of it to the starter, what goes on the middle 2 prongs??? im soo close to getting it to turn over i can feel it, soo help if you can thanks.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I haven't looked at mine in years so I'm just going on how most starters operate.. There should be one hot wire in and one hot wire out. Then a smaller post on the starter that is the switch side. IIRC, usually a starter gets its ground from the block itself so don't forget to ground the block with the same power source that you are attempting to start it with. ie. hook-up the negative of a battery to the block and then the hot to the "in" and the switch side (smaller post) of the starter and it should crank. and make sure you can remove the power from the switch side quickly.

All that being said, this probably isn't the safest thing to do.

·
Registered
51 Posts
lol, its on a special stand all bolted down, soo its safe, and thanks for the help.
Don't forget to torque the flywheel bolts. There was a video floating around somewhere of a moron running a sbc w/ no headers and the flywheel took a trip into the side of his house. Can't find it on youtube.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha ya i think ive see it, but ya ive taken all the precations, just cant get the dang thing to turn over..:mad:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Alot of ppl get the relay and the solenoid confused. The relay is on the fenderwell(usually), and the solenoid is on the starter assy. There are plenty of wiring diagrams around. I'm kinda buzzed, but i'll keep looking for something to help ya

1 - 12 of 12 Posts