Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF is up with Mustang owners with the modular motors? Now I can see why fox body is better! Maybe you all can shed some light. As I have posted before I am looking for a project (still). I understand that the fox's had the 5.0. What I was asking is, what are the pros/cons about the modular motors? Still trying to decide, and was thinking if I could find something that has been in a wreck but no serious frame damage, say a Mach 1 or a Cobra, that maybe I could get for a decent price to fix for my toy. Can any of you shed any light on this for me or point me in the right direction? Not to worry, I am going to look at a 89 Hatch this week, so hopefully it won't be a big p.o.s. and I will be able to start my fun. Anyway thanks for the help!

Dave

·
Registered
241 Posts
WTF is up with Mustang owners with the modular motors? Now I can see why fox body is better! Maybe you all can shed some light. As I have posted before I am looking for a project (still). I understand that the fox's had the 5.0. What I was asking is, what are the pros/cons about the modular motors? Still trying to decide, and was thinking if I could find something that has been in a wreck but no serious frame damage, say a Mach 1 or a Cobra, that maybe I could get for a decent price to fix for my toy. Can any of you shed any light on this for me or point me in the right direction? Not to worry, I am going to look at a 89 Hatch this week, so hopefully it won't be a big p.o.s. and I will be able to start my fun. Anyway thanks for the help!

Dave
IMHO foxs are better. I'm partial cuz I own one. My choice would come down to cost these days and I would imagine there are MANY more parts for a fox and they are cheaper b/c there are sooo many parts avail.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Modular motors use an overhead cam design, which reduces reciprocating mass, and allows the motor rev higher more reliably. I belive all are aluminum head; some, like the non-boosted Cobra motors, are aluminum block as well.

Cons are weight, complexity, and price of modification (5.0 cam might cost $150, cams for my Cobra would cost me close to $1k).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, you guys just convinced me. Fox body it is. Can't wait till I get it and I can ask you for some real advice. :cool: Thanks again.

Dave

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
as a toy a fox is way more fun and less expensive to mod.

mods are nice but alot more money and not as easy to work on.

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
I like the Mach's and Termi's :drool

Fox bodies are fun though because they're so damn cheap and easy to mod

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
just stay away from 2 valve modulars

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
just stay away from 2 valve modulars
do them right and actually put good parts they can/will fly

only aluminum block is the cobra, gt's have iron blocks.

You port a set of PI heads decent cams and the bolt ons the car will go 11's on motor.

They really arent that hard to work on. I thought the same thing before I started messing with them for friends cars

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
foxes are lighter, cheaper, easier to work on, pretty much exactly what u want when it comes to dragracing light cheap and fast
Fixed that for you. Foxes SUCK for racing that involving corners until you put some money into suspension. Basic mods just to get rid of the unpredictability of the chassis will run you over a grand if you buy it all new, you're talking at least $2k if you want it handle competently. If you're comfortable fabbing parts, you can bring that down a lot.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Fixed that for you. Foxes SUCK for racing that involving corners until you put some money into suspension. Basic mods just to get rid of the unpredictability of the chassis will run you over a grand if you buy it all new, you're talking at least $2k if you want it handle competently. If you're comfortable fabbing parts, you can bring that down a lot.
Cuz mod. handle so much better?:no

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Cuz mod. handle so much better?:no
Not especially, lol.

But they do have certain advantages: wider track, slightly better front suspension geometry, room for larger wheel/tire combos, the chassis are slightly stiffer, and they all have 4-wheel disc brakes.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
all you need is a 96and up factory k member

·
Registered
347 Posts
I like how everyone says they are cheap to build... Lol Iwish they were, Im so deep in mine now.. Lol.. There arent any cars that are cheap, thats for sure..

I do understand what your saying though, they are cheaper to build then most....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts