Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just blindly bought a 351 complete engine. It came out of a 79 Cougar. I have no idea what to look for or what direction to go in. But for $75 I can make it back in scrap metal if it turns out to be crap.

If this block is worth anything I would like to build a mid 11 street car. It is going in a 93 lx coupe. Any input on this block or a good combo would be greatly appreciated.

The lx has a msd box, mac long tubes, weld in sub frames, tremec 3550, 3.73, edelbrock intake, crane cams, and a bunch of other mild stuff. I have a $5K budget. Thanks for any input.

If this engine turns out to be **** I will probably keep the 302 and buy a Vortech.

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
Well it should be a Windsor so it should fit your current parts except intake manifold. Take it to a machine shop and see if its any good and build a 393 stroker out of it. One thing I don't know is how strong that year of block is, hopefully someone else knows maybe?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'm trying to see which way my budget will be better spent. I know some parts will have to get swapped.

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
What heads are on it? (your 302) I say go for a 393 or 408...room to upgrade that to a blown monster.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Go with the 351. It will make a lot more power in the long run than any stock block 302

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have heads yet, that is going to eat a big chunk of my budget. nkausch where are you located. I'm in E Brunswick.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Couldn't you get a 351 Windsor or Modified (Cleveland) in 79 ?

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Trick Flow heads for 800 bucks
Trick Flow stage 1 cam 100 bucks
RPM airgap intake 120 bucks
650/750 carb - 150-250 bucks
Gasket kit - 120 bucks
Lifters- anywhere from 150-350
Full exhaust - 500-700 depending on price of headers
Oil pan - 50-125 bucks
Balancer -?? Bucks

All I can think of. But that'll go mid 11s in a fox. I've seen it go high 11s with a 302 so a 351 will make that little bit more.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Actually, an Anderson N41 would be a better choice for that setup. The trick flow is just a good amount cheaper.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
stang banger thats a good combo for a 302 but 351 is going to need more cam and more than 170s not that it wont work but wont be as good as it could be.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
The 170's will support over 500 horse. Don't forget a 351 is only 4 cubes bigger than a 347, and we've all seen what 170's can do on those. Would a little bigger head and cam do better? Of course, but it depends on what the guy is doing with the car. That would be a good street beast motor.

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
If you wanna party now, flattus is right. I say tree fiddy wun

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
The 170's will support over 500 horse. Don't forget a 351 is only 4 cubes bigger than a 347, and we've all seen what 170's can do on those. Would a little bigger head and cam do better? Of course, but it depends on what the guy is doing with the car. That would be a good street beast motor.
**** I've seen box stock 170s on a 427 go 10 flat N/A.

It's a cheap combo, thats why I posted it. He could get CNC 205s, custom hydraulic Roller, ported Victor Jr, Quick fuel 750dp etc.

But that'll blow his 5k budget out of the water.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Ohhh... By the way. You're on YB, right? Know the moderator of the N/A section? Chris U? Anyway, he did a 302 I believe (not a 347) with stock port 170s,a Jay Allen camshaft, all his tricks in the bottom end, his intake work etc. He obviously had a valve job and killer valvetrain, but STOCK PORTS and he made 60x hp. In-****ing-sane.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Ohhh... By the way. You're on YB, right? Know the moderator of the N/A section? Chris U? Anyway, he did a 302 I believe (not a 347) with stock port 170s,a Jay Allen camshaft, all his tricks in the bottom end, his intake work etc. He obviously had a valve job and killer valvetrain, but STOCK PORTS and he made 60x hp. In-****ing-sane.

Sent from my galaxy s II
I am, but not too often. Don't know the guy personally. And I totally call BS on that 302 combo as you listed doing 600 horse. I think you may have some **** confused. And that Jay Allen cam isn't worth mentioning since it was probably two lobes picked out of a hat, lol.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Tried searching his more recent posts. I came up with nothing. Let me know if you find it again, as I'd be interested in seeing it. You know how impossible that would be to pull that kind of a number out of a 302 with unported out of the box heads? Wallace race calculator puts a cap of 493 on it with that flow. And that's spinning it to 8350. I know 302's have been spun higher, but airflow is airflow.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I know boss man. But someone said 408 so I think 185 190 would be more suitable

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 98 Posts