Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I just recently bought an 87 notchback with an 89 maf 5.0. I'm looking to get advice on where I should start modding. it already has a cone filter and a catless H and flow masters. What websites do you recommended buying stuff from?
I'm not sure what gears it has and the previous owner wasn't sure either any way to tell?

I also noticed that when the motor is cold it struggles to idle for a few minutes but then it's fine any ideas on what's wrong?

He has the quad shocks removed from the car I've heard various things about them but should I put them back in.
Theres probably a bunch more things I want to ask but can't think of.
Thanks guys
Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
11,200 Posts

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Parts vendors i use or have used...
Latemodelrestoration (50resto)
FoxMustang (Foxresto)
Summit Racing
Jegs
Maximum Motorsports
National Parts Depot (npdlink)- expensive, lots of NOS stuff
Laurelmountainmustang
MustangsUnlimited
TexasMustang
MPS autosalvage
CJ Pony Parts

I also noticed that when the motor is cold it struggles to idle for a few minutes but then it's fine any ideas on what's wrong?
The MAF or ECT sensor were my first guess as they can have a direct effect on a cold start. They are only guesses. Check for codes first. Get yourself an Equus 3145 code reader and Equus 3149 cable extension. Got mine from Jegs.

Quad shocks are questionable. They were Fords way of controlling axle hop during hard launches (like slapper bars). They are removed mainly for clearance when using wider tires. Some remove them and have no axle hop, yet some have it bad. You can usually remove them without any problems at all if you upgrade the rear control arms. If you keep the quads and still have hop they may be shot, but then again every car is different.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks that video is great.
What about Americanmuscle.com are they any good?
Where would I pick up the code reader?
Also what modifications would you guys recommend I start with? Im probably gonna do it piece by piece. Would anyone recommend just getting rocker arms along with the basic bolt ons? Do they give any Decent gains?

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Thanks that video is great.
What about Americanmuscle.com are they any good?
Where would I pick up the code reader?
Also what modifications would you guys recommend I start with? Im probably gonna do it piece by piece. Would anyone recommend just getting rocker arms along with the basic bolt ons? Do they give any Decent gains?
Don't get rockers until you get cylinder heads IMO.

First mods, if I were to do it over, would be these.

Subframe connectors first, gears of your choice (depends on what you're doing with the car and if it's a stick or auto), full exhaust (in your case headers), upper/lower control arms, cold air intake etc. Then from there you need to plan where you want your build to lead up to. It all comes together in the end.

If you get a 65mm throttle body for the stock intake manifold, that won't work with a Trick Flow intake or a holley etc. They require 70mm or larger. See what I'm saying? Same thing with the MAF. You need to see what cold air Intake you're using and match those sizes. A 3 inch air intake will need a 70-77mm MAF, depending on your throttle body.

Any other questions feel free to PM if you need. I've been down the same road as you. My car only had pullies and exhaust when I got it.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Jegs or ebay. Order from Jegs and you get a free Jegs baseball cap. They give them out with every flippin order. I couldve opened a hat shop last year!

I would start with subframe connectors, brakes, and suspension. Then the engine stuff.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Don't get rockers until you get cylinder heads IMO.

First mods, if I were to do it over, would be these.

Subframe connectors first, gears of your choice (depends on what you're doing with the car and if it's a stick or auto), full exhaust (in your case headers), upper/lower control arms, cold air intake etc. Then from there you need to plan where you want your build to lead up to. It all comes together in the end.

If you get a 65mm throttle body for the stock intake manifold, that won't work with a Trick Flow intake or a holley etc. They require 70mm or larger. See what I'm saying? Same thing with the MAF. You need to see what cold air Intake you're using and match those sizes. A 3 inch air intake will need a 70-77mm MAF, depending on your throttle body.

Any other questions feel free to PM if you need. I've been down the same road as you. My car only had pullies and exhaust when I got it.

Sent from my galaxy s II
Jegs or ebay. Order from Jegs and you get a free Jegs baseball cap. They give them out with every flippin order. I couldve opened a hat shop last year!

I would start with subframe connectors, brakes, and suspension. Then the engine stuff.
I pretty much agree, suspension and gears first then a short throw shifter would probably be next. I held off doing my brakes because next year I want to do a five lug upgrade. If you do any racing at the local quarter mile upgrading the brakes should be thought about. I went in the summer this year with the stock engine and even after a few runs the brakes were pretty sketchy. I usually turned off the last return road so I'm not slamming on the brakes as soon as I get over the line.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I forgot about brakes. Definitely do them. If you need them, get stock replacement rotors with HAWK pads.

I need to do mine actually. It's sketchy stopping from 110ish.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Forget the stock rotors. Powerslots are much much better. Made a world of difference on my 93. Improved braking and very little if any brake fade. New brake hoses wouldnt hurt either. Stock rubber is ok for a daily driver, but if you like to go fast all the time, get the braided stainless and stainless steel caliper guide sleeves.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its a 5 speed manual. I plan on just having a street car that I can take to shows and to the strip occasionally. Are pulleys and an electric fan something to do? Also I have a smog pump on there that's pumping to nothing and an ac that isn't hooked up but they are on the belt should I buy delete kits or is there a way to run a smaller belt just. Not sure if I want to get rid of The ac but the smog pump definitely.
I maybe getting ahead of myself by asking this but so I know. What heads and intakes are good? I've heard mixed reviews about the cobra intake. Is a gt40p setup worth doing?
Thanks again guys.

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
My a/c is the same way. I live in Texas so there's no way in Hell I'm going w/o a/c.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Definitely consider the electric fan, but forget about the UD pullies. No need to buy a delete kit for the smog pump, just run a smaller belt.

I ran GT40P heads with a cobra intake a long time ago and didn't care much for that setup. What sort of a budget are you looking at as far as mods go? I agree with stang banger on first mods. Then step up to a nice H/C/I combo.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts

If you do get rid of the smog pump i would get rid of the cats to. Some say aftermarket cats dont need the pump as much as the stock cats do, but i would keep both or get rid of both. There is still the risk of burning out the cats without the pump and a new cats are not cheap. Or just use an o/r pipe. Keep the O2 sensors regardless.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

If you do get rid of the smog pump i would get rid of the cats to. Some say aftermarket cats dont need the pump as much as the stock cats do, but i would keep both or get rid of both. There is still the risk of burning out the cats without the pump and a new cats are not cheap. Or just use an o/r pipe. Keep the O2 sensors regardless.
I'm already running a catless h

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definitely consider the electric fan, but forget about the UD pullies. No need to buy a delete kit for the smog pump, just run a smaller belt.

I ran GT40P heads with a cobra intake a long time ago and didn't care much for that setup. What sort of a budget are you looking at as far as mods go? I agree with stang banger on first mods. Then step up to a nice H/C/I combo.
Pretty much a college student budget but I make decent money. Just gotta save a bit for heads and an intake. Literally just bought the car Saturday.

Guy said the car needs wires and perhaps a cap and rotor so I was thinking msd is it Worth it? Or should I do a full distributor?
Also am I correct in saying that there's no point to get a throttle body, maf, or fuel injectors until I do a h/c/I
And does anyone know if doing the timing bump from 12 -14 is safe/ worth it?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Use the search button man. You've been a member since April and pretty much every question has been covered monthly. Maybe just start reading thread after thread. You'll learn more than you ever thought you could. Not that we don't like to help, it just gets repetitive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Use the search button man. You've been a member since April and pretty much every question has been covered monthly. Maybe just start reading thread after thread. You'll learn more than you ever thought you could. Not that we don't like to help, it just gets repetitive.
My bad I'm just trying to get a feel for the forum and posting I made this back in April cuz I was getting a different mustang and the deal fell through. I know things have been covered but it just feels better to ask them myself for my specific situation.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Pretty much a college student budget but I make decent money. Just gotta save a bit for heads and an intake. Literally just bought the car Saturday.

Guy said the car needs wires and perhaps a cap and rotor so I was thinking msd is it Worth it? Or should I do a full distributor?
Also am I correct in saying that there's no point to get a throttle body, maf, or fuel injectors until I do a h/c/I
And does anyone know if doing the timing bump from 12 -14 is safe/ worth it?
Thanks
MSD is JUNK. Go with a Motorcraft cap and rotor. And you are correct as far as not upgrading that stuff until you go H/C/I. Gears, if you can afford them, are gonna be the best performance mod you can do right now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts