Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Qwik Enuff
773 Posts
You don't need forced induction to get to 300whp.

]
I didnt say he needed forced induction to reach 300hp.I said the easiest way to reach 300hp was by adding a supercharger.I was using the word "easiest"to mean less time consuming basically.A supercharger kit takes far less time to install than a h/c/i,tb,maf sensor,etc does plus you dont have to scrape old gasket material off of anything, spend time torqueing bolts,etc.....Another thing that makes the supercharger easier is the hp you can gain by doing nothing more than a pulley swap......

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
I didnt say he needed forced induction to reach 300hp.I said the easiest way to reach 300hp was by adding a supercharger.I was using the word "easiest"to mean less time consuming basically.A supercharger kit takes far less time to install than a h/c/i,tb,maf sensor,etc does plus you dont have to scrape old gasket material off of anything, spend time torqueing bolts,etc.....Another thing that makes the supercharger easier is the hp you can gain by doing nothing more than a pulley swap......
Oh I agree, wasn't trying to point fingers or anything. However, it's also not that easy though. He's carb'd which means having to either modify his current carb with bigger jets, new metering block, and a boost referenced power valves for blow-thru or buying a carb already built for blow-thru which can be $$$. He'd also need to overhaul the fuel system for a high pressure pump and boost referenced regulator to maintain 7-7.5psi fuel pressure on the blow-thru carb. This also means less mpg and weaker off-boost response if you drive it on the street much. Stock valve springs plus boost is not a good idea so the valvetrain is coming apart anyway.

A H/C/I combo would come out money ahead and make almost as much power with better fuel efficiency and less tuning headaches. He could jet up his current carb to support the power or just buy a 750 for $300 new ready to bolt-on and go.

While a supercharger certainly saves the headaches of tearing down the top end of the engine, it moves the headaches somewhere else. A set of TFS TW170 heads are $1,300 assembled and ready to go, a Weiand Stealth intake is $200, Holley 750 carb is $300, a set of long-tube headers is $200-250, and a Magnum 270H cam with lifters is another $200. Throw in the cost of gaskets and you're still under $2,500. Add an extra $350 or so to that and you can run the new TFS 11R 170cc heads which are CNC and flow amazing for small ports. Plus you can get them with a small 53cc chamber if you're looking to bump the compression up.

Now a roots type blower would be a bit easier as you wouldn't need to convert the carb to blow-thru and could use the stock fuel system, just convert the power valve for boost reference to deliver more fuel when you hit the gas. A Weiand 174 blower kit comes with the intake, blower, pulleys, brackets, belts, and all other accessories needed to make it work for cheaper than a centri kit. You'd get to enjoy instant boost without the drawbacks of running a blow-thru carb. However, you'd still need to invest in better valve springs and also calls for taking off the old intake for the new blower intake.

·
WOT Junkie
1,163 Posts
Even with gnarly heads and a healthy cam, 650 cfm carb is plenty if he's keeping stock displacement and not revving past 7K. The stock carb is conservatively rated at 585 cfm, which will support a good bit of power. The stock carb is actually a Holley carburetor, spec'd by Ford. 4 barrel vacuum secondary with annular boosters on the primaries. It has a lot of potential when adjusted and running properly.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts