Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
^^ Blow through hopefully, in which case you should go Slot style MAF. That is what I did. I was going to go 90mm in a blow through but my tuner said it would max out so I went Slot style. Whether it would or not, I don't know. I was going to take a chance and have to upgrade anyway. I'm way overkill for my setup though (SCT BA5000 slot style).

If you stay draw through the 90mm should be fine...maybe get a diablo MAFia

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,526 Posts
I don't know if it applies here but I have heard many times by Vortech drivers that the stock MAF cannot be used in a blow-through configuration. That is completely untrue. ProChargers are shipped from the factory with an intercooler. The factory location for the MAF is between the intercooler and throttle body (a blow-through configuration). The tubing is shipped with the housing for the stock MAF. It is also untrue that you will outgrow a stock MAF/MAFia combination. Diablosport advertises that the combo is good for 800 rwhp. Kurgan (who used to post on the forum) once said he tuned the combination to 1000 rwhp. So if you are thinking that you might later need an MAFia then forget buying a new MAF just buy the MAFia and save a little money.

The biggest problem that I have read concerning the 90mm MAF is that it is larger than the piping and that can cause a little turbulence inside the MAF making tuning difficult. For the best tune you want a nice even flow through the MAF.

I've not heard anything bad about the slot style MAFs. You have to weld a bung in the piping for it. A 2003 has the IAT intergrated in the MAF. (My 2000 has a separate IAT sensor.) I am not sure but you might need to purchase an IAT if you use a slot style MAF.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I don't know if it applies here but I have heard many times by Vortech drivers that the stock MAF cannot be used in a blow-through configuration. That is completely untrue. ProChargers are shipped from the factory with an intercooler. The factory location for the MAF is between the intercooler and throttle body (a blow-through configuration). The tubing is shipped with the housing for the stock MAF. It is also untrue that you will outgrow a stock MAF/MAFia combination. Diablosport advertises that the combo is good for 800 rwhp. Kurgan (who used to post on the forum) once said he tuned the combination to 1000 rwhp. So if you are thinking that you might later need an MAFia then forget buying a new MAF just buy the MAFia and save a little money.

The biggest problem that I have read concerning the 90mm MAF is that it is larger than the piping and that can cause a little turbulence inside the MAF making tuning difficult. For the best tune you want a nice even flow through the MAF.

I've not heard anything bad about the slot style MAFs. You have to weld a bung in the piping for it. A 2003 has the IAT intergrated in the MAF. (My 2000 has a separate IAT sensor.) I am not sure but you might need to purchase an IAT if you use a slot style MAF.
I spliced my MAF and IAT sensor wires into the slot style connector using the diagram on VMPs website and the below forum post:

Converting to Slot Style MAF meter

My 2001 has the separate IAT sensor as well.

·
All Homo All The Time
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I want to go blow through but I’ll talk to the tuner since he is installing and tuning the car and go with whatever he recommends. He does a lot of work on mustangs from street car to full blown drag cars.

The used vortech V1 on eBay that I was watching went for $1,425 last night. Way overpriced. I know now if I ever have a head unit for or sale to forget the classifieds and put it on eBay.

·
All Homo All The Time
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have a 3.48 and 3.12 6 rib pullies forsale if you need
Thanks man Ill keep that in mind. For the time being Ill stay with the 3.6 as I cant afford a forged shortblock yet.

Ordered the new 325lph fuel pump. Got some used genuine Ford 42lb injectors and 90mm mass air coming next week. All that is left is the CXracing intercooler to buy other than a few odds and ends. I know Ill be getting new plugs and fuel filter. Anything else I need before dropping off the car at the shop?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,526 Posts
You will be surprised but you need some of the cheapest plugs available. Copper plugs. Less that $2 each. I run NGK TR6 gapped at .032" but some gap them at .028". I am on my second set of plugs in a boosted application. I changed the first set after 80,000 miles and they showed very little wear. I am on my second set.

·
All Homo All The Time
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You will be surprised but you need some of the cheapest plugs available. Copper plugs. Less that $2 each. I run NGK TR6 gapped at .032" but some gap them at .028". I am on my second set of plugs in a boosted application. I changed the first set after 80,000 miles and they showed very little wear. I am on my second set.
I’ll definitely have to order some. Everything about this project has been expensive so I don’t mind needing cheap plugs.

I’ll probably order the intercooler this week and get that on the way. Hopefully I’ll have everything needed before the vortech arrives.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
Yes copper plugs for sure. I have a set sitting in the garage with other msc parts I bought when I was doing a blower build a few years ago. Other things came up and I let go of it. This thread is helping me revive the dream.

Good luck. Keep us updated!

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
If you have not pulled the trigger on the cxracing intercooler yet, let me know if you would be interested in buying my old treadstone intercooler and bov. It has been sitting on a shelf since I pulled it off my ride 3 years ago. Lots of pictures and details in my build thread. Make me an offer.

·
All Homo All The Time
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If you have not pulled the trigger on the cxracing intercooler yet, let me know if you would be interested in buying my old treadstone intercooler and bov. It has been sitting on a shelf since I pulled it off my ride 3 years ago. Lots of pictures and details in my build thread. Make me an offer.
Ill check it out, thanks.

Are these the plugs I need?

https://www.amazon.com/NGK-TR6-V-Power-Spark-Plug/dp/B000GZCU70/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1519608670&sr=1-2&keywords=NGK+TR6+spark+plugs

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/NGK-TR6-V-Power-Spark-Plug/dp/B000GZCU70/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1519608670&sr=1-2&keywords=NGK+TR6+spark+plugs
I went with the autolite 103 gapped anywhere from .032 to .034. Picked them up at autozone. Never had a problem.

I am out of town this week on business so if you are interested send me a private message. Will not be able to ship until this weekend at the earliest.

·
All Homo All The Time
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

I went with the autolite 103 gapped anywhere from .032 to .034. Picked them up at autozone. Never had a problem.

I am out of town this week on business so if you are interested send me a private message. Will not be able to ship until this weekend at the earliest.
I sent you a pm

·
Registered
979 Posts
I was looking back at your parts list, and realized you will probably want a wideband gauge, and maybe a boost gauge as well.

I just bought some stuff of a buddy, including an AEM wideband, if you're interested let me know, since right after purchasing I found my old prosport wideband, and I don't need 2 of them xP

·
All Homo All The Time
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I was looking back at your parts list, and realized you will probably want a wideband gauge, and maybe a boost gauge as well.

I just bought some stuff of a buddy, including an AEM wideband, if you're interested let me know, since right after purchasing I found my old prosport wideband, and I don't need 2 of them xP
I plan on getting both later.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
the AEM wideband is great for the money, I've been running one for over 4 years. works great, if you get a firewire cable, you solder one of the wires to it, it will plug into the sct and your AFR can be used in datalogging/tuning. great stuff.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
when I was blown I ran the NGK TR6 plugs gapped .032". they are a single range colder than the standard plug.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
if you decide to go blowthru and are in the market for blow off valves, I have a procharger open bullet valve laying around as well, didn't need it with my turbo setup.

makes your car sound like a jet without being completely obnoxious like the tial 50mm or the big red race valve.

21 - 40 of 287 Posts