Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i just recently bought my V8 mustang. Its a 2009 gt and i have already caught the mod bug. I have been reading post on this site for about a month now, and i have to say its really impressive at how slick some members are on these cars. So after doing some reading and checking out some mags like mm&ff, this is what im thinking of doin. Please any advice will be awsome.

1. The roush R2300 kit from americanmuscle.com it Comes with a 2.3L TVS® supercharger with black finish, upper and lower intake manifolds, an intercooler, a low temp radiator, the ROUSH® cold air intake system, a dual 60mm electronic throttle body, and a unique fuel rail with 52 lb/hr fuel injectors.

2.a set of comp cams stage 2 nsr
3. long tube headers and x pipe.
4. 4:10 gears and short throw shifter

how will this combination hold up? will it make good reliable power? I wanna be able to drive it on the interstate and not have problems.It says that it comes without PCM calibration. What does this mean? Do i have to take it to a tuner? if so, were is a good place close to east tennessee? I also thought about topping it off with a shot of spray. If I do this how big could i go? should i just not go for that? Will the bottom end even hold up to this? Alot of you can tell me exactly what this will do and how it will work LOL.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I wouldn't shoot any spray after that TVS blower. That will already pull stumps out of the ground. For street driving on street tires 4.10's are a bit steep, but if you are going to race it then get 4.10's otherwise go 3.73's. As far as cams go, you'll see the most power with spr cams. Also, for the best power, you'll want blower grinds. If you are after old school sound that's a different story...FRPP hot rods or Thumpers will do that. A good middle of the road cam is the BBR stage 2 spr billet cams. They make decent power and give the old school sound. I have them with my Whipple.

Comes without a PCM calibration means don't even try to drive it. You'll need a temporary PCM file to at least allow you to drive to a tune shop, but a pro tune is an absolute must. Don't know any in Tenn.

I think the blower is a damn good choice, you won't need to upgrade the throttle body on the stock bottom end. Try to keep the power at 450 to the wheels or you'll be on borrowed time. Even at 400-450 you had better make sure your tuner knows what the hell he's doing so do your homework. Get recommendations.

Short throw...MGW all the way. You'll love it. Plan on a clutch upgrade if you have a standard shift and get that rear suspension geometry set up right to help the wheels stick because the torque will be instant and LARGE.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Just buy the blower and an MGW shifter...even the gears are optional - you won't "need" them with that blower.

You don't need the cams or the longtubes. The blower will make more power than your car can handle anyway - in fact, you will have to put a smaller snout pulley on it in order to keep from blowing it up.

You WILL need a custom tune - the TVS comes without a tune. A local tune from someone who knows what they are doing is ALWAYS my preference, but if not, I suggest either Tillman Speed or JDM for your tuning needs - and in fact both of those places sell the TVS kit, so I would buy it from whichever one of them is going to give you the tune. They will sell you an SCT tuner and a tune all in one package.

I suggest (and use) Carmen's billet pulleys:

Contact information:

If I were in east TN, I would install it, get a temporary tune from Aric at Injected Engineering, and then drive it to Atlanta (staying out of boost) for a custom final dyno tune.

Injected Engineering

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
ive been toying with the idea of a double power adder for a while. I am spraying a 150 shot directly thru steedas delete plates...what I want to do is put a KB mamoth on top of that and downsize my shot to a 50 or 75...just to say i did it. have to get my clutch isue fixed first tho. modding is an addiction. somedays i wish i never got this car.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I would not use American Muscle to buy the TVS ... I think it'd be a smarter idea to buy it from a tuner who can also write you a tune for it and provide support from installing them and tuning them on cars. There is no need to do cams, the TVS is going to make enough power to blow up your stock motor. Longtubes would be a good mod. 4.10s are not going to be a good choice for this blower, 3.55s are great. No way could you do nitrous until you got a built motor.

I'm running the TVS and love it. It's a great kit, fits awesome, and makes insane power! I made 463 rwhp at 8 lbs, 506 rwhp at 10 lbs, and 524 rwhp at 11 lbs. Like Dimora said, you need to pulley it so you don't blow the motor up. I'd recommend making 8 or 10 lbs of boost which will safe, it will be about 460-510 rwhp. Another thing you need to think about is running GT500 fuel pumps or a BAP.

Here's a link to VMP's store which has different kits available for sale.

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: Roush P51 SC Kits

Here's a link to my thread about the TVS, read up!

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005/113356-nastystang113-just-got-blown.html

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005/123619-nastystang-hit-vmps-dyno-today.html

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005/138425-new-tvs-pulley-vmp.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow this is some awsome info! So if i get the kit form VMP Tuning will that kit come with a PCM tune so i can install and not take it to a tuner or will it still have to be tuned? I guess what im asking is this an all in one kit, everything needed included. I want to get the most out of it and still being streetable. How much would it cost to get the bottom end done with forged pistons? Is their any place close to tennessee that can do this. Dimora, you said take this to atlanta. I am actually open to driving as far as TX to get it tuned and built maybe y'all know someone who sales, tunes, and builds all in one place. As far as the the cams i was definalty wanting the muscle car lope. So any suggestions on any of this?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
not having a dyno tune with a blower pushing good power (over 400rwhp) is one of the worst things you can do to your car

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
DiMora, let's make sure the new member understands it's a larger pulley that will drop the power, not a smaller pulley. We don't want him to get it backwards.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
09 ponycar, to sum it up, you will be OK with an email tune, but OK is just that.....OK. I wouldn't ever redline the engine with an email tune even if it was sent by Superman. Your air/fuel ratio needs to be mapped out by a professional for idle to redline and that takes a few hours to perfect when you also include all of the little driveability tweaks that will be necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thats why i would like to find a place that could do it all in one whack. Buy it their, build it their,tune it their and pay their. Any Suggestions?

ok nwhat about this setup:
Comp cams XFI spr stage 2 blower grind
Forged rods and pistons
Stage 3 TVS kit from VMP tuning
JBA headers and X pipe

·
Registered
247 Posts
Looks like Brenspeed might be your closest reputable speed shop. It would be about 6-7 hours away from Knoxville.

·
Registered
247 Posts
lol, well I haven't heard anybody call them that, but to each his own. I haven't had any issues with them.

·
Registered
247 Posts
k, care to elaborate?

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
The list sounds great! Take a look at my post below as well. Anyone know of a very good tuner that this guy could go to? I would not take the chance of not using someone who is an amazing tuner on a set-up like this. There is only one reason why I've been able to run this much power on a stock longblock for as long as I have and that's because of the tune.

not having a dyno tune with a blower pushing good power (over 400rwhp) is one of the worst things you can do to your car
If you have a reputable tuner that is in driving distance than by all means that is the best thing to do. However, there are only about 10 guys that I'd let tune any 3V I owned. How many guys have we seen that got bad tunes and blew up their motor because they thought their 'local' tuner could tune it. It's very easy for the reputable tuners to write a custom mail order tunes when they have done plenty of them, than conduct datalogs, and tweak the tune if need be. I think you can agree that it'd much better to get a mail order custom tune, do datalogging, tweak the tune with a reputable tuner than have some back woods guy dyno tune it.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
If you don't mind heading north to Maryland about 400-500 miles JPC Racing can hook you up with everything and have one of the best around tune it. (Kevin MacDonald)

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
It's pretty simple, if you get a mail order tune from me for your P51 TVS kit, just do some datalogging. You can buy a wideband and put it on the car or pay 50-100 for a couple dyno pulls on a local dyno to check the a/f. My tune will be close enough that it will just need a few percent adjustment if anything.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts