Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've ever had the pleasure of working on. 351W that will be stroked up. Don't even have a car to put it in! :facepalm:

Haven't even looked up the casting number yet. Bought it off a guy for $40. Says it can out of a late 70's or early 80's van. #5 piston melted a little, but meh. Will keep updated with pics :yes

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Anybody need a crank? lol. Cam had to be removed via slide hammer. Pistons and rods came out OK. The trick is to wire brush the rust and corrosion off the cylinder walls before you start hammering on them. The crank I'll probably clean up, grind, and make available for sale. It's a stripped block, ready for cleaning. I got pretty lucky, no visible cracks on the head surface. It'll clean up real sexy once a CBN bit runs over it.

It won't be hot tanked. The stuff we use won't attack corrosion this bad. It'll be baked and blasted. The caps are in the hot tank right now and will be glass beaded. Ordering a set of ARP main bolts (not studs, the extra $ for the studs isn't worth it) to check the main housing bores once the block is tumbled. I'll get some pics of the process...maybe a tech article is in the works?

I need to start looking for deals like this.....
If you think that's a deal, you don't want to know what I paid for the Eagle crank I got :naughty:

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
did someone tell them since he burned a cylender it was a boat ancor and he really did it? lol
:lmao that thought crossed my mind!

The crank:

EDIT: this used to show a picture of a cast Eagle crank. since I'm not using the crank anymore (switched to a 4340 one), it's kinda useless to change the picture because photobucket is useless.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
The extra $ for studs is worth it. They have more clamping force than bolts and do a better job at preventing cap walk. Definitely well worth it on a 2 bolt block.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Hell, I even have my heads, intake, throttle body, and valve covers studded :lmao... If you think about the difference in clamping force as well as being coarse thread vs. fine thread, well, it's a no brainer, but each to their own. High compression is stressful too, depending on how high you are talking

·
Registered
53 Posts
good deal for sure..post up some pics after it comes back from machine shop....and pics of engine assembly....

1 - 20 of 165 Posts