Modded Mustang Forums banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
ok, 4 years after getting the block, I've FINALLY got a 4340 Eagle crank (4.000" stroke, 6.200" rod for a 408) and a set of Eagle H beam rods with ARP2k bolts. Heads and pistons are still up in the air, I'm waffling between cylinder head choices. Once I figure out where I want to be with my compression ratio, that'll help narrow things down.

I was having a tough time deciding which route I wanted to to. Factory blocked 408? Factory blocked 331? Dart 363? Dart 427? LQ4 408? Modular? Coyote?

Finally said **** it, it's never gonna get done if I don't make up my mind! Mind has been made up.

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
LOL.

I almost, almost bumped this thread yesterday. I looked back through your posts real quick and got too lazy to find it.

Edit: I guess I should have opened one of your posts, I didn't even realize it was in your signature.. Lol.

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
badass man! do you already have a car to put this on?
Yup, picked up an 88 GT about 5 years ago (that's how long this motor build has taken, lol. Thanks to photobucket, those pics won't display. I'll have to track those down.

I've been curious about that Holley intake. Now I see how it looks fitted up.
It matches up okayish. I'm going to have to do some port matching out to the gasket dimensions (1263 S-3). The gasket lined up perfectly with the heads (Victor Jr.) since Edelbrock CNC's the intake ports to match the gaskets. Holley did not to that with the lower.

I talked to Holley, the 1262 gasket is as big as you can go, the castings were not made thick enough to really hog out the runners.

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
It matches up okayish. I'm going to have to do some port matching out to the gasket dimensions (1263 S-3). The gasket lined up perfectly with the heads (Victor Jr.) since Edelbrock CNC's the intake ports to match the gaskets. Holley did not to that with the lower.

I talked to Holley, the 1262 gasket is as big as you can go, the castings were not made thick enough to really hog out the runners.
I actually like a small step from the runner into the port with the runner slightly smaller. It helps with air velocity and can act as a reversion dam at lower rpm usually without sacrificing anything on the top end. However, you wouldn't be able to know for sure without flowing the head with the intake attached.

To gasket match, you'd have to increase the runner size about .100" all the way around. From what I can find online, the Vic Jr is gasket-matched at 2.10" x 1.28" and the Holley intake is 2.00" x 1.19". That's a 12.9% difference in square area. I would imagine the intake is actually probably close to the size of the of the minimum CSA of the Vic Jr port around the pushrod pinch.

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I actually like a small step from the runner into the port with the runner slightly smaller. It helps with air velocity and can act as a reversion dam at lower rpm usually without sacrificing anything on the top end. However, you wouldn't be able to know for sure without flowing the head with the intake attached.

To gasket match, you'd have to increase the runner size about .100" all the way around. From what I can find online, the Vic Jr is gasket-matched at 2.10" x 1.28" and the Holley intake is 2.00" x 1.19". That's a 12.9% difference in square area. I would imagine the intake is actually probably close to the size of the of the minimum CSA of the Vic Jr port around the pushrod pinch.
That's a pretty good point, about the pinched pushrod area. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I dont sign on much anymore so this is a tad late, but this is in response to the blue shown in post #150 being lighter than expected. There are a couple different shades of Ford Blue should anyone else run into this.

Duplicolor 1601 (Ford Blue 1963-1965)

Duplicolor 1621 (Old Ford Blue 1966-1968)

Duplicolor 1606 (Ford Dark Blue 1969-1981)

To add to the confusion, i have seen Duplicolors 1601 referred to as Old Ford Blue or Light Ford Blue, and 1621 referred to as New Ford Blue or Dark Ford Blue and even Ford Corporate Blue, and 1606 referred to as Ford Corporate Dark Blue. Pick them by shade and not the name and you should do ok.

141 - 160 of 165 Posts