Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know of a theard for instructions on what tools u need to install them and directions on how to do it also about how long does it take

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
I would have the gear professionally installed. If it's not done right it could be pretty exspensive. I would go to a ring and pinion shop, they'll be cheaper, quicker, and do it right. I would expect to pay from $150-$300.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats true but my dads friend is a mechanic he just wants a set of directions when he does it.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Ok, then you're lucky. There isn't any instructions that I know of. I would however suggest getting a shop manual for your car. You could also get the torque specs. too. Just buy a chilton manual for $30.00 and that should suffice.

·
Registered
575 Posts
no offense but if the mechanic asked for instructions on how to install my gears he would not be doing the job. this is something that needs to be done by someone with the knowledge and tools.

·
Registered
200 Posts
+1 even if you are mechanically inclined...you want someone with experience putting these in. And by experience I mean no instructions needed because I have done this many a time.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Virtually all rears are built alike. Except when you get to planetarys. No you don't need to drop the rear. Did you buy the install kit with the bearings annd schims? If not I suggest that you get one of these right away. I changed my bearings and my car only had 4700mi on it at the time. There is no [email protected]$$ing this. You have to do it the right way. Tell him to do this as he would on any car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no install kiti decided nottoget that just bought the tuner and gears and oil is it necessary to buy anything else

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
buy the kit, are you really going to want to have to do this again for bearing? It's worth the money, It's like putting long tube headers on and not changing motor mounts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
i did my 4.10s in my driveway in about 2 hours and went and ran the car that night!

What kind of tuner ?

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I have seen people install them with using the same shims that are installed from the factory. This is a hit or miss. But it some times works.....

Somtimes .. lol but thats a 50/50 shot cuz if you plan to use stock stuff and when you have the rear apart in the driveway and you have no more shims and you cant set the back lash when you want it .that deff sucks..

its supposed to be between 8-12 i think but im not 100% sure...

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
if they are frpp gears,90% of the time you can use the same size pinion shim and it comes out right. the carrier shims always needed adjustment. buy a install kit, you need the seal,crush sleeve. and at least the pinion bearings,they usually get damaged on removal.. you will need a dial indicator,1" mic,100 in lb torque wr.,150 ft lb torque wr.feeler guages,pinion holding tool(if you don't have the "feel"), a press or method to remove old bearings,need to measure orig pinion shim. persuin blue dye to check pattern. In another words not just your normal tool set

1 - 19 of 19 Posts